Road Debris

BuddySol

So, how many of you see something in the road and realize it's a little late to try to dodge so pray for the best as it passes under your car?

Found myself in this situation driving down the 60 about an hour ago. Usually, I hear a nice little thud and I'm off on my merry way checking for any damage when I stop. So I spot this yellow chunk of something coming up fast in my lane and realized if I dodged it, most likely whatever it was would hit a tire, so straight I went and hoped for the best. Under the car it went and instead of a thud, I heard this rather metallic clank. As I was busy saying crap what the f*ck was that, I hadn't realized my airbags had went off. It was when inside of my car got really smokey and I glanced over to my passenger side to see a big huge airbag inflated was when I realized both airbags had gone off. GREAT! Luckily, I was by my buddy's house and stopped over there to inspect the damage. Checked the front...no damage. Checked my tires...no damage. Checked inside the car...my windshield has a nice crack going up along the passenger side. Checked under the car...nailed my gas tank. Yup, a waterfall of gasoline was coming out my tank like there was no tomorrow.

My buddy just dropped me back home and tomorrow I will head out with a tow truck to get my car. :(

Maybe I'll get pix then, since I happened to not have my camera in my backpack tonight...

I have feared this same problem going over large rocks/pepples on the road. They can be like flying bullets which can puncture your oil pan or gas tank. It never crossed my mind that something like this can happen until a taxi driver told me about it.

My situation with road debris is when I was driving on the freeway and a truck few feet ahead had his flatbed down. to make a long story short, a lumber flew off and came tumbling down the freeway. I saw this up ahead and quickly switched lanes to avoid it but as i was switching lanes, it kept following me!! I hear this loud thunk and cont to follow the truck driver and tried to get this mofos attn but he wouldn't look over at me so I write down the number "to report bad driving" and got it settled then.

Not sure what hit my car...but it looked like it would fly under my car no problem. Kind of odd, cause I did dodge two pieces of road debris before I hit that one. But that was way way before I came up on this thing...

When I was speaking to the insurance claim agent a minute ago, she was surprised I had no front end damage for my airbags to go off. She also said that the chances are high they will TOTAL my car since its a 95, the airbags have deployed, and my gas tank was damaged. :(

DAMN THE 60 FREEWAY...first it takes my chin spoiler...now it might take my car... :mad::mad::mad:

I ran over a plastic bag one time. It got caught on an edge on my wheel well and I drove with it for like 20 miles to the next service station. It was loud and hell. I could hear it with my window up. The funny part was I saw it coming and thought to myself, "nahh that thing can't get caught on my car."

Archived