To Be Or Not To Be

here you go guys take that for ur luxury cars..back to the last post from the newbie topic...

QUOTE (SuperStreetRX7 @ Feb 1 2003, 8:25 PM)

Hi, stay here and stay away from rice.

Not to hi-jack your thread but I have to reply to vtracer...

An RL is not a luxury car. Acura is supposed to be the luxury version of Honda, but face it, it's not luxury. Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, those are luxury.

An RL is just a big car.

i dont give a rats ass if you think its not luxury!

it is a luxury to some people out there, i mean our family isnt as rich as yours!!.. so i'l call any car out there luxury.. fawk!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are we to discuss?

I see Benzes, Bimmers, and Lexuses everywhere, makes me think those aren't luxury. Just idiotic people flaunting their fake richness and parachute kids who have nothing better to do with their parents money. So in my eyes, it's not luxury. That's an OPINION.

The FACT of the matter is: Benzes, Bimmers, and Lexuses are marketed and belong in the luxury segment. Just as any Acura out there.

(Altho I reserve judgement on the Integra/RSX...that car should have been a Honda...)

Acura is the luxury division of Honda. Fact.

SuperStreetRX7 doesn't know anything. Fact.

How many people here are now dumber because of all of the garbage he's spewed? Really now. If you've read any other threads he's started or hijacked, you'd realize:

1. His S2000 is going to blow up.

2. He's 16 year old, and SHOWS IT.

3. His parents are quite well off, which makes him the silver spoon bearer.

So much factual information, someone might learn something! :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Acura is marketed as luxury but lets face it, it's not a luxury car. I mean, if some kid in college that is not rich can buy the highest model they make (not NSX) and still mkae his loan payments, then its not luxury. Are chrome wheels even an option on Acuras? Because I haven't seen any with stock chrome wheels.

darksaint Posted on Feb 4 2003, 11:12 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acura is the luxury division of Honda. Fact.

SuperStreetRX7 doesn't know anything. Fact.

How many people here are now dumber because of all of the garbage he's spewed? Really now. If you've read any other threads he's started or hijacked, you'd realize:

1. His S2000 is going to blow up.

2. He's 16 year old, and SHOWS IT.

3. His parents are quite well off, which makes him the silver spoon bearer.

So much factual information, someone might learn something!       

1. It's not going to blow up.

2. And? I've already told my age moron.

3. And? I sense jealousy in that last one.

I don't know anything? Right, just like your cold air intake added 15 horsepower and a Vibe is fast.

oh man, i don't know if i should even start up in this thread.

however, i will agree with darksaints ENTIRE post.

the acura RL, TL, CL, etcL, are all luxury. and in that order i believe. if you think a car that has heated seats to keep you buns toasty in the winter isn't luxury then what do you think IS luxury? sure bmw's, mercedes', lexus', cadillac's (sp?), etc are all luxury. but the rl is just as much luxury in my opinion. it may be made by acura, but that doesn't mean its not just as good if not better than the others. hell, take the new honda accord for example. its luxury. but when you think of honda you think of compact cars that get good gas mileage, not some 30+ thousand dollar luxury car.

i suppose you also think that the nsx isn't a sports car because its made by acura.

Acura is marketed as luxury but lets face it, it's not a luxury car. I mean, if some kid in college that is not rich can buy the highest model they make (not NSX) and still mkae his loan payments, then its not luxury. Are chrome wheels even an option on Acuras? Because I haven't seen any with stock chrome wheels.

If a kid can buy an RL he can buy a whole bunch of other cars within that price range. You yourself are buying a $30k car...there are a few luxo brands (Benzes and Bimmers) that fall within that range.

Chrome rims are a marker of luxury? That's the oddest thing I've heard in a while.

Once again, I'm not buying it.

Yes, when a car is marketed as a luxury car, you should be able to get chrome wheels as an option like on Cadillacs.

Well...then. The point still stands if a kid can buy an RL and still make payments, then he can pretty much buy any luxo brand in that market segment.

As for chrome rims...I do not see it as a marker for luxury. It's a choice among buyers. Anyhow, if I can walk into Honda and get chrome rims...why wouldn't I be able to walk into Acura and get chrome rims.

ahhh i love this thread!!! why wasn't i invited earlier? :D

lets keep this thread clean by not calling each other names or putting them down. just share your opinion in a nice way. here is my opinion (which shouldn't matter):

RL/TL do come with chrome stock wheels. I am not sure about CL's. CL's are suppose to be the sports car of the "L" family so i guess the CL type S (260hp man trans...i think it has 6 speed!) is considered like a sports/luxury car?

So lets say "superstreetrx7" is right about RL's aren't luxury cars, name some cars that the RL can be compared to? accord 4 doors? um... i can't think of any other cars that the RL was competing against when the manufacterors (sp?) were designing it. i believe it was competing against the infinity q45, lexus es300 & gs300, um............okay well i can't think of any other cars that can be compared with the RL but you get the idea. so my TL is equivalent to what? the accords?

these are just my opinion. remember, lets keep it clean guys :)

one more question to superstreet, what car are you getting?

last one, i promise... im going to move this into the "L" area at the acura threads.

i guess acura could be CONCIDERED luxury, but its all in how you try to define it. if you compare it to a bentley azure or a mercedes SL600 theres no comparison, any acura will NOT look luxury compared to those cars. compare them to cars in their price range like the low end mercedes or the 3 series bmw's and yeah i suppose they match up. but still those are LOW END cars from their line up, not the real luxury cars which cost twice or three times as much. its all in what you are comparing the acura's to.

Price != Luxury. If you are aren't a programmer, != means not equal to.

Again, this is all opinion. Is a BMW Z3 a luxury or a sport car? Any Ferarri or Lamborghini. Sport car? Yup. Luxury car? Ever been in one? It doesn't ride like a luxury car. They aren't very comforatable in general. Luxury cars are aimed at:

1. The bling bling'rs

2. Senior citizens

3. People with too much money

The new Cadillac 16 (you know, the one with 1000+ HP and 1000+ ft. lbs. of torque?) is considered a luxury car? Why? V16. Do senior citizens really need to drive around with 16 cylinders? Not with these gas prices.

I guess it's just a symbolic thing. Lookie lookie, it's a Benzie. Wee. When I see a TL or RL I can see someone who probably worked hard enough to manage to pay on that car, not someone who gets their money from social security or dog bites. Meh.

I understand, SSR, if you still think I said 15 Horse on my CAI, though I suppose once you get an idea in your head it's hard to get it out, like your 10 second show car S2000 carbon fiber body kit that WON'T explode. Right.

What kind of tranny were you using for this beast of a car? I know the stock will just simply fall off and cry for mommah. :p

Anyway, enough from me. I only drive an Acura.

Is a BMW Z3 a luxury or a sport car?

no a z3 is a piece of crap.

Any Ferarri or Lamborghini. Sport car?

all exotic sports cars, not luxury.

Do senior citizens really need to drive around with 16 cylinders? Not with these gas prices.

cadillac thought about that and thats why the 16 will have "displacement on demand" the car wont actually use all 16 cylinders unless you push it. think japanese cars are the only ones with technology? ford is coming out with a truck that will get 40mpg.

i'm still under the impression that the term luxury is comparitive and thus depends on what you're comparing it to. a bently, definelty not a sports car, definelty luxury, compare that to a RL, yeah a 35k RL is not luxury compared to the hand made bentley. however compare it to a bmw 3-series which is in the same price range and yeah then i'd concider the RL luxury.

so then your definition of luxury will extend to pretty much anything. a kid in college that is not rich can go buy a base model civic and not be able to pay his loan payments. hell...that kid could go buy a geo metro and not be able to make his loan payments. i label your definition weak.

as for chrome wheels. mark covered that one pretty good. but, once again i'll knock it down. if stock chrome wheels make a car luxury then woohoo i know a 16 year old girl with stock chrome wheels on her civic. so that means that she has a luxury car right? honda civic ex. luxury. hey, don't tell me, its your definition.

lux·u·ry    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (lgzh-r, lksh-)

n. pl. lux·u·ries

1.  Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

2.  Something expensive or hard to obtain.

3.  Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.

there's you a definition of luxury. someing inessential but comforting....the heated seats for example. someing expensive or hard to obtain...the car cost 35+ thousand dollars, not a lot of americans can afford it. as for the last one, that has to do with life, so i'll ignore it.

oh and you s2k will blow up.

The fact is Acura is a luxury nameplate, everyone can awknowledge that one. But, the image tends to be less luxury. Which, is where I think SSR is coming from. Somehow Lexus and Infiniti were able to escape from being overpriced Toyotas and Nissans, while Acura was still a Honda. Maybe it was because they were the first one's out of the gates, who knows. But Acura is trying to rework it's image.

The dropping of the names for alphanumeric designations. To create a stronger brand name for Acura, instead of a strong product name. Some say that was stupid, but who knows...maybe it worked.

Maybe in the future Acura will have it's own cars, instead of rebadging JDM Hondas. As noted on www.vtec.net, there are teasers on Honda Japan's website of a new luxury coming to Japan: and loosly hidden are Acura badged cars.

I have a friend who was hired by Acura to handle a marketing campaign that she pitched to them: basically renting out stalls at private golf courses and basically place Acura automobiles in those spots. Who knows if it works, but you can tell Acura is trying to up it's image.

So, I would definetly say that Acura is a luxury brand, just as any other Japanese brand. And it competes well with all the market segments it is involved in. Just the image of it's brand has suffered, and I think is slowly being recognized, as I said earlier, by many people with the introduction of the TL, CL, and MDX.

The one car that I would say is not luxury is the Mazda Millenia, which was created for Mazda's luxury brand which never surfaced. It is often considered a "luxury car" by press and Mazda themselves. On the other hand though, the basic consensus of this $30k car, which carries as many amenities of any luxo car in it's segment, is that it's still a Mazda and has no "brand heritage" to back it.

ok i see what you're sayin, and i agree totally. however you cant deny that there are two classes of luxury cars.

1) the semi affordable luxury cars (lexus, infiniti, acura, some bmw's, low end benz's)

2) the outragously over priced, the "i have 3 mil, i can afford a $125k car" cars, that come with 400 hp and cant seem to break a 15 sec. quarter and handle like ass. (bentley, top end benz's, aston martan's, ect ect)

2) the outragously over priced, the "i have 3 mil, i can afford a $125k car" cars, that come with 400 hp and cant seem to break a 15 sec. quarter and handle like ass. (bentley, top end benz's, aston martan's, ect ect)

to me those are more like an "exotic" type of cars...of course still luxury.

lets just summarize this............LUXURY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

a homeless person could view a honda as luxury so it all depends on you.

yea i know someone thats hella poor, hella hella hella poor, so poor, that they own a 89 honda accord 4 doors, they say that its a luxury to them.. they are brother that live with each other at the age of 40-45 not to sure and well they have no jobs, and there still living off of there parents....

yea i know someone thats hella poor, hella hella hella poor, so poor, that they own a 89 honda accord 4 doors, they say that its a luxury to them.. they are brother that live with each other at the age of 40-45 not to sure and well they have no jobs, and there still living off of there parents....

wonder if they would like to go on the jerry springer show? :laugh:

Archived