Stainless steel braided lines

TS John

I decided against getting new front calipers cuz it would have meant another $90 just for some ProStop (Pepboys brand) OEMs. I figure I can just clean mine up and paint them. Did anyone find that replacing calipers were all that necessary to getting a good braking feel or is the decision I made one worth sticking with? I guess I can always go and replace them later if I find it necessary...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get the rears and if you are still not happy with the feel do something like a gsr front conversion. its not a huge difference but you can get the whole setup fairly cheep used (not sure how much as mine came on my jdm gsr front clip) i have discs in the rear (stock) gsr fronts and stainless lines all the way around. im pretty happy with that setup on my sol, however i think im doing slotted rotors all the way around as soon as i need new ones.

while we are on the subject... does anyone know a good biting pad that i could use on the rear? i have green stuff on the front and i want something on the rear that bites a little more than that. reson being i want to balance my braking a bit more as my fronts lock up before the rears do. Also, does anyone know the size comparison of gsr rear discs over del sol si rears? just wondering if they are bigger i may swap them out.

It is usually the other way around.... rears lock up first due to less pressure needed to apply brakes. (used to have a healthy pressure to use drums, now need less pressure to work the calipers====> so they would lock up sooner.)

Don't change pads to change the distribution. Get a proportioning valve. 100x more adjustible, and cheap too!

I'd get the rears and if you are still not happy with the feel do something like a gsr front conversion. its not a huge difference but you can get the whole setup fairly cheep used (not sure how much as mine came on my jdm gsr front clip) i have discs in the rear (stock) gsr fronts and stainless lines all the way around. im pretty happy with that setup on my sol, however i think im doing slotted rotors all the way around as soon as i need new ones.

while we are on the subject... does anyone know a good biting pad that i could use on the rear? i have green stuff on the front and i want something on the rear that bites a little more than that. reson being i want to balance my braking a bit more as my fronts lock up before the rears do. Also, does anyone know the size comparison of gsr rear discs over del sol si rears? just wondering if they are bigger i may swap them out.

I have some brand new brembo performance brake pads that fit a Civic Coupe Ex 93-95, Del sol Si with ABS 95-97, or a del sol vtec 95-97 if youre interested

It is usually the other way around.... rears lock up first due to less pressure needed to apply brakes. (used to have a healthy pressure to use drums, now need less pressure to work the calipers====> so they would lock up sooner.)

Don't change pads to change the distribution. Get a proportioning valve. 100x more adjustible, and cheap too!

problem with a proportioning valve is that it doesnt add to the front or rear whichever way you do it, it will only take pressure away from one or the other. i dont want to do that and i know the different pads arent the best way to go about it, thats why i was considering changing to gsr's in the rear if they are bigger... and my fronts definately lock up first. probably because of the gsr calipers/rotors (brake systems from the factory are front bias)

less pressure is exactly what you want... It will take pressure away so they don't lock up as quick :thumbsup:

actually i would rather keep the same greter pressure and increase either the bite of the rear brakes, or the leverage by increasing diameter rather than decreasing system pressure to the front... thats the last thing i want to do. yes that will give me a better balance, but it will decrease the maximim possible pressure that can be applied. i would rather keep the system pressure up as mush as possible and just add with leverage in the rear.

dont get me wrong, im not saying proportioning valve is a bad idea, it would work, i just dont want to lower the system presure to the front.

You obviously don't understand how they work, nor do you know what your talking about. It doesn't limit max pressure like you are saying. It only allows a PORTION of the pressure to pass through. A porpotioning valve is exactly what you need to solve your problem.

If you keep applying your max pressure up front your tires will still lock up, you don't want your max pressure, you want it "limited" by the valve. Who honestly gives a hoot about your pressure you have now? Obviously you can't handle the pressure your throwin at it to begin with (ie locking up tires) so what does it matter if it goes down a bit?

btw create your own topic, don't threadjack.

sorry man, not trying to whore this thread... just wondered opinions on what i should do.

"It doesn't limit max pressure like you are saying. It only allows a PORTION of the pressure to pass through"

i didnt say it limited the max pressure, the maximum pressure is still the same between the master cylinder and the proportioning valve and then it reduces the pressure from there to (in my case) the front brakes... i DO NOT want to do that. i want maximum pressure from the factory braking system to the front and rear brakes... not part of it. i know what you are saying and i know that it would work, but it will deminish my cars overall braking ability i dont want to take away to even things out, i want to add to even things out, thats why by changing the rear rotor size to a larger rotor i will be adding overall braking leverage, not taking it away to even out the distribution of braking power.

maybe im wrong, maybe you are wrong, i dont know. (once again, not bashing your idea, it WILL even things out, i understand that) i just know thats the way im going to do it.

It would seem to me, zimmy, that diminishing your brake pressure is what you want. Right now you have too much pressure, making your brakes uneffective since they lock up. In your case, then, a little less pressure would actually make them work better. And your max pressure would not be limited so that you could still jam on your brakes if you really need to and stop real quick-like. I guess I could be wrong about this but that's what I understand Pyro to be saying.

On another note, I shelled out the 75 bucks for new front calipers (stock replacements) yesterday and painted them black. They look so nice and clean -- can't wait to put it all on this saturday.

It would seem to me, zimmy, that diminishing your brake pressure is what you want. Right now you have too much pressure, making your brakes uneffective since they lock up. In your case, then, a little less pressure would actually make them work better. And your max pressure would not be limited so that you could still jam on your brakes if you really need to and stop real quick-like. I guess I could be wrong about this but that's what I understand Pyro to be saying.

On another note, I shelled out the 75 bucks for new front calipers (stock replacements) yesterday and painted them black. They look so nice and clean -- can't wait to put it all on this saturday.

Good luck on the Caliper install... they should look great.

they arent like locking up all the time, i mean you can lock any brakes(minus anti lock for the most part) if you want to, im just saying, when i brake THAT hard, the fronts lock up first... thats all

Just a quick update: did the install on Saturday. Brakes feel great with a smooth even deceleration without nose-dives and lockups. Rebuilding drums is a pain in the buttocks. Am going to do a test comparing my friend's 93 si sol with rear discs but stock brakes to my new setup and post a review soon.

Yeah we used a hammer and a screwdriver. They were crumbling from rust in the back. Kinda scary. I needed almost two cans of Brakleen to make the work bearable the stuff was so dirty.

Archived