Stainless steel braided lines

TS John

So I decided to get me some stainless steel braided brake lines before I install my new brake stuff (rotors/pads all around) and I could use some advice.

So far, here's the four possibilities that I've found. I will list them in order of price from least to greatest.

Russell ($100 with free shipping and $10 off):

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/ED684480

Goodridge G-Stop ($108 plus shipping):

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp...;category=Lines

Techna-Fit ($115 with free shipping and $10 off too):

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/HN-1310

Neuspeed ($170 plus shipping):

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/817/23/

I've never heard of Techna-Fit and Goodridge G-Stop, so I'm a bit wary of them unless someone can tell me something good about them. The Goodridge ones did get good reviews, though. Russell also I know very little about, but the price is right with them as compared to the others. Really, the only company I know to be good is Neuspeed, and, surprise surprise, they are the most expensive by far.

So, advise me. I hope to do the brakes soon, so I kinda need to make a decision on this one quickly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very much uneeded , but on the other hand , very cool , lol. if you drive an ATV or street bike , they are needed to do endos and hard braking without swelling lines.

I've heard of Neuspeed and Goodridge. Only kind of reviews I've seen are of the Goodridge lines, and they were all positive. Like cranny says though, really unneded unless you're going to be doing things that heat up the brakes alot.

I appreciate the fact that you guys are trying to help me save some money, but brake feel is something that's very important to me. Nearly everything I buy for my car is "unneeded" in that the sol runs great yadda yadda yadda, but I like the upgrades.

A firmer brake pedal feel is something I love about expensive cars (new BMWs deffo have it in my experience) so I want to have that in my car. When I get my new clutch/flywheel (my next upgrade) all three of my pedals will feel really nice, as will my shifter, so the "driving action" of my car will feel great -- something I very much look forward to.

I will probably be going with the Goodridge G-Stop lines because they're reviewed well and seem to be a the solid choice (although I'd prolly see a difference even between them and the Neuspeeds). Plus, I might be ordering a caliper painting kit from The Tire Rack too, so it makes sense to get it all at once.

If someone knows something I don't and can give me a solid recommendation before tonight, when I place the order, please say so.

They will help with brake fade. I've noticed brake fade before on some back country roads, I was driving them pretty hard and braking even harder. Drove like this for about a 10 mile stretch and by the end my brakes were really mushy and weren't working very well. Stainless lines would have helped with that problem. Also, my brakes were literally smoking when I got out of the car. Anyway, Stainless Lines is the only brake upgrade worth it unless you go to a full big brake kit. Definately worth it if you backroad or do any autocross (although autocross is usually too short to matter)

The thing is, they aren't going to make the pedal stiffer. You want stiffer pedal, get rear discs.

Yes they will. Your rubber lines swell, stainless lines don't.

How do they help brake fade? Brake fade has to do with your rotors getting really hot.

I was waiting for you to say something, Pyro, since brakes seem to be something you know about. What you say in your above posts is exactly what I've read about stainless steel braided lines doing. Their purpose is to make your brake lines more efficient by eliminating swelling, and consequently you pedal won't need to be pushed down as far since you're not losing any pressure in the lines thanks to swelling.

Pedal fade is affected by rotors and pads -- this is why they advertise "good resistance to fade" in performance pads. Rear discs would help (I would have gotten them if not for the expense right now) with braking of course, but the most dramatic difference they would make is eliminating nose-diving, which is not much of a problem in the sol anyhow.

So no warnings against Goodridge G-Stop?

Edit: Note to Hung: Back country roads are my favorite type. I'm glad you mentioned this aspect of car performance, because I feel that people ignore brakes because often times tuners are very concerned with drag racing and not twisty-turny races. In these cases brake upgrades are a good idea. I always try to remember that I'm not doing car upgrades for the 90% of the time the sol is just my daily driver. I'm doing them for the 10% that it really matters, as you pointed out.

The advantage to having brake lines that swell (ie the stock rubber lines) is that they're cheaper and work 90% (as mentioned in the edit I made). The negative side is exactly what we were talking about with efficiency -- they swell so you need to press down on the pedal harder to get the job done. This can make a difference when you really need to jam on them.

I realize now that I might have made it sound, in my above post, that its the stainless steel lines that swell and not the other way around. Sorry if I mistakenly gave that impression.

brake fade is solely from heat. and if the stock rubber flex hoses , "swelled" any amount at all under hard braking , stainless would be mandatory by law. once again i say very unnecessary , but also very cool.

the stainless lines are a good idea but if youre good on them back roads you dont need your brakes.

You're an idiot.

I honeslty wouldn't get them. I know many track cars that don't use them. If they swell so badly, don't you think cars would be mandated to use Stainless?

You're an idiot.

Why am I an idiot solLes? Because you dont neccesarily need your brakes if you know how to down shift, or how to weight shift? Ive been drivin in the twisties since I was 14 and have learned how to drive fast without needing the brakes at every corner or any for that matter. So dont call me an idiot, because i personally dont have to worry about brake fade.

You're an idiot because if you are doing 90 on a straight stretch and come up on a 90 degree turn that you need to be at about 35mph for, then how are you going to down shift 55 mph in about 5 or 6 seconds? Of course in a slow car (which you apparently have if you don't need brakes) you'd only be up to about 45mph on the straight stretch so would only have to drop down 10-15mph. I guess if I had a slow car too, I wouldn't need brakes, but going from 90 to 35 in a few seconds requires brakes.

But wat is the point of doing 90-30-90mph driving. because after you get down into the 30s ill burn you in the corners. and most of the turns i take are about 75 to 80 degrees and i dont have to lock up my brakes to get in and out of them. and yes my car may be slow on a staight away, but on a curvy road its kills. its so light i can actually maintain a pretty decent speed and not have to worry about understeering.

well you come out where i live and you will never see 1/2 mile stretches, its one curve after the other and i know my rex will beat you in the corners. iv had people talking crap like you are now and then get pwned because they cant hang.

but enough e-fighting... damn

brake fade is solely from heat. and if the stock rubber flex hoses , "swelled" any amount at all under hard braking , stainless would be mandatory by law. once again i say very unnecessary , but also very cool.

They do swell, very little, but they do. The slightest loss in pressure, do to the increased volume in the lines (swelling) is noticed.

You're an idiot.

I honeslty wouldn't get them. I know many track cars that don't use them. If they swell so badly, don't you think cars would be mandated to use Stainless?

It is a performance modification to your braking system, not just a substitute. So the answer is no.

I personally wouldn't go back to rubber lines, after I had my stainless.

well you come out where i live and you will never see 1/2 mile stretches, its one curve after the other and i know my rex will beat you in the corners. iv had people talking crap like you are now and then get pwned because they cant hang.

but enough e-fighting... damn

What do you have done to your suspension? An 18 year old CRX with 18 year old suspension is not going to roll me in the corners. I've driven an older CRX with stock suspension and compared to my car, it was sad to say the least. You seriously think a stock CRX is a great handling car?

I don't need to go out there to prove my point. Everybody (except for you) knows you're wrong.

Full Tein Type-S coilovers on pillowball mounts, new urethane bushings, new oem balljoints, set down 2.5 inches, and skunk 2 camber kit with falken rubber around the stock 14s.

i wish i could post pics but i aint got a digi cam

Enough of this. We all know cars need brakes.

It seems like the only person besides me supported steel lines is someone who has them. I don't have a problem with that.

With regards to the "gov. mandate" for them, what about CAI? We all know they're better, so why aren't they required, or at least standard?

Anyway, I'm deffo getting these, and will post up a review of them. I started this thread to get reviews of brands and got none, so it looks like I'm on my own with this. Pyro, what brand do you have?

Archived