mustang problem

Timmythewop89

Well the camaros been running great, u might notice i havent posted much in a while. well ive always known of my buddy terry's mustang, but its never been a concern. just a mostly stock early 80's ls stang with a 302 swap. as for the 302, it was bored 40 over, edelbrock performer cam and a stock low rise dual plane manifold, and holley 750 carb. well it was a tire burner but hey its light... obviously u can see by now that the parts are not very well matched up.

well its been down all winter. he comes back, hes got an air suspension that fills one side when launching for straighter launches, and brand new posi rear end, not sure of the ratio, but high, a brand new racing 3 speed tranny, and a new performer manifold, already had the cam. along with t his he got a true dual 3 inch exhaust installed and new headers. i like the kid but its competition now.

well i guess ill list my advantages over him, and his over mine.

mine:

-more cubic inches

-wider, grippier tires

-bigger cam with single plane rather then dual

-my 700r4 tranny's first gear, most of you probably know

-x-pipe and smaller exhaust tubes (2 1/2 inch) helping the bottom end

-long tube headers rather then shorties

his:

-about 400-500 lbs lighter

-posi rear end

-more bottom end

-a lot higher ratio rear end

-maybe the tranny im unfamilier with this type, dont kno much about it

thats what i can think of at teh moment. we are eventually going to race in a safe spot, but i would jsut like some opinions on how i stand at the moment. i plan on having new heads and a new rear end before i race him, but how do u think i stand as is?

dount sound mature u kno if a mazda miata pulled up next to you and reved youde race him. its not "people" planning to race. its me and 1 other person, no one else. ur saying its better to randomely race then plan it? oh yea and i dont have a race track in my back yard. well lets look at the alternatives. i could take a 2 hour drive to seekonk speedway and pay a couple hundred, oh wait for laps on the track is a couple thousand. or no, i could take a 3-4 hour drive to new england dragway. ide rather race on the four lane perfectly straight 1 mile long escape road with flashing traffic lights at each end.

Good for you. And no, I wouldn't race a Miata. I'm done man. I am. I lost a couple friends recently from stupid ass street racers.

Because they had to prove to everyone that their cars were so badass. Ghey. Extremely GHEY.

Do me a favor, and not try to sound cool. Thousands to race ona circuit track? You're getting ripped off. And your car on an actual track other than drag strip is teh suck. Sorry.

i only race on the street if i know, theres no cops around.

most of the time, im a spectator, watching those damn evos and stis get at it..

last night a turboed dc got smoked by a na da.

but i agree with solles.

btw, i dont know if youl beat him.. because domestics is teh ghey :ph34r:

i havent lost any friends or relatives. does it may me not as much of a hardas? dont think so, but then again there are good safer places to race around here, not saying its mistake free. and dont get the idea i go around and race. the cars been out all spring and summer and i havent raced a soul. theres many people that would disagree with you along with me about domestics being gay.

I don't condone street racing at all so do it at your own risk! Please be careful!!

..but um, I thought high gear ratios have an advantage? also 400-500lbs is a lot of difference in weight! Do what you can to loose some weight - rip out the back seat? take out the spare tire? run on a 1/4 tank of gas left? take out your speaker box if any? do a oil change too and use the proper gasoline?? clean out your air filter?

Well the camaros been running great, u might notice i havent posted much in a while. well ive always known of my buddy terry's mustang, but its never been a concern. just a mostly stock early 80's ls stang with a 302 swap. as for the 302, it was bored 40 over, edelbrock performer cam and a stock low rise dual plane manifold, and holley 750 carb. well it was a tire burner but hey its light... obviously u can see by now that the parts are not very well matched up.

well its been down all winter. he comes back, hes got an air suspension that fills one side when launching for straighter launches, and brand new posi rear end, not sure of the ratio, but high, a brand new racing 3 speed tranny, and a new performer manifold, already had the cam. along with t his he got a true dual 3 inch exhaust installed and new headers. i like the kid but its competition now.

well i guess ill list my advantages over him, and his over mine.

mine:

-more cubic inches

-wider, grippier tires

-bigger cam with single plane rather then dual

-my 700r4 tranny's first gear, most of you probably know

-x-pipe and smaller exhaust tubes (2 1/2 inch) helping the bottom end

-long tube headers rather then shorties

his:

-about 400-500 lbs lighter

-posi rear end

-more bottom end

-a lot higher ratio rear end

-maybe the tranny im unfamilier with this type, dont kno much about it

thats what i can think of at teh moment. we are eventually going to race in a safe spot, but i would jsut like some opinions on how i stand at the moment. i plan on having new heads and a new rear end before i race him, but how do u think i stand as is?

Honestly...it means very little. If he has more HP/TQ, then your large CI means squat. Best I can say is run 'em. TL is right about the weight though, 500 pounds is a fairly large difference.

Good for you. And no, I wouldn't race a Miata. I'm done man. I am. I lost a couple friends recently from stupid ass street racers.

Because they had to prove to everyone that their cars were so badass. Ghey. Extremely GHEY.

Do me a favor, and not try to sound cool. Thousands to race ona circuit track? You're getting ripped off. And your car on an actual track other than drag strip is teh suck. Sorry.

and you turboed your car to drive the speed limit.

these are the type of threads we flame noobs for (just sayin) and a lot of the people on here won't know what you're talking about because they are farmiliar with honda.

it should be a close race.

DC owns DA actually. Really though, anything can be built to beat anything. I'd say for timmy, go race em.....at least if either car gets wrecked then we'll be getting a domestic of the streets. Wear your seatbelt though so that your car is the only thing that gets hurt.

Oh, and that is really impressive that a n/a DA beat a boosted DC because (despite what most people think) there's not much weight difference between the DA and DC.

DC owns DA actually. Really though, anything can be built to beat anything. I'd say for timmy, go race em.....at least if either car gets wrecked then we'll be getting a domestic of the streets. Wear your seatbelt though so that your car is the only thing that gets hurt.

Oh, and that is really impressive that a n/a DA beat a boosted DC because (despite what most people think) there's not much weight difference between the DA and DC.

Very true. I think NA win over turbo is incredible.

DS (Del Sol) > DC > DA FTW!!!

i dont know i personally dont even want to race it until i get a new rear end and heads. another thing is i dont know if you are familiar with the 700r4 tranny, but its 1st gear is very short, helping a lot for off the line. the only problem with that is my second gear is so big that my cars well out of its power band when i drop it into second. it kicks in at about 3 grand and is at its peak at 4500. well ill keep you posted.

i forgot who said it but i would never rip out anything to make the car lighter. if anything ide replace heavy parts for more high quality lighter parts. i dont know hwat else to say so im gonna stop here.

you do have more CI timmy , but honest to god im not saying this cause im a ford guy , but ford makes better power than chev , big or small. and if your a true engine fan and know your crap youl agree. so youl always have to be one step up on him to beat him. for one thing , hes got too big of of a carb , so his car i know 100% is not running as strong as it could. with stock heads(if its HO heads , high output) , he should be running no more than a 650 DB(double pumper). 750 is too big. and if hes got his car geared for 1/4 mile now , im assuming hes got at least 3.70's range if not 4.11's with that 3 speed.

if he was to throw a 75 shot on that car , he would pwn you , lol. hes be pickin a front wheel up off the line with slicks and frame connectors(weld on's , cause bolt on's are poop). if he was to throw a 650 carb on that and let me play with his timing for an hour and the carb , would work better. 750=too much fuel for a 302 windsor smallblock. if that was a mechanical secondary carb , it would bog off the line. but most likely its vacuum secondary.

timmy if i were you id get a 3:73 posi set,take out the rear seat and go for it,the rear end is probably more cost effective than the heads as yours are already decent.BTW where are you,i used to live an hour away from connecticut dragway before they closed it,saw jungle jim lieberman run there a few times.

Have u been up to the new england dragway?? im in mass and only abou 45 mins away...i use to go there at least twice a year...until i got out of the street racing ''years''. BTW...If u own a honda...especially if its boosted...u kno u have or will street race at 1 point.....''yaaa..let me turbo my car so i can drive like a granny''

Archived