supercharger detonation

Installing a jackson racing charger kit on my integra ls. ive heard things about detonation during use, and i was wondering if there was a way to stop that. from what i've heard, injectors and pump dont really solve the problem, but the map sensor controller does. can anyone explain to me how that works. thanks

if the car was modded for boost already and getting knock , you could retard your timing slightly. but adding more fuel with timing set normally is what should be done. fuel injectors and at least a piggy back fuel managment unit is needed when running boost dude its that simple.

Get a tune with hondata. Hondata actually makes some pretuned chips for some Jackson racing setups. You send the ecu to them and they chip it with a tune specifically for JR setup. I'm not sure which applications they do that for, but you might check their website.

never heard of too much fuel causing knock. too much fuel=bog off the line and lower rpms. timing being off slightly advanced causes knock. the car running on fuel without a high enough flashpoint causes knock.

Get a tune with hondata. Hondata actually makes some pretuned chips for some Jackson racing setups. You send the ecu to them and they chip it with a tune specifically for JR setup. I'm not sure which applications they do that for, but you might check their website.

Too rich = extra fuel leftover from initial combustion process. Leftover fuel can explode later in the combustion event and cause detonation or "knock". Same effect, different cause.

yea ive never heard of too much fuel causing a knock. i would avoid retarding the timing, but keep the advance as high as possible, to the point where you can rune your car all day and not have to worry about detonation.

You mean the opposite. Advance timing means starting the combustion event earlier resulting in higher peak and average cylinder pressures which means more power and increased tendancy towards detonation. Retarding the timing does the opposite. Better to run less timing with a more optimum a/f ratio. More power, less fuel and emissions.

if you get injectors, get it tuned. your car will run like crapT without it and your going to f*ck things up.

no, if he was knocking, you can retard the timing.

You mean the opposite. Advance timing means starting the combustion event earlier resulting in higher peak and average cylinder pressures which means more power and increased tendancy towards detonation. Retarding the timing does the opposite. Better to run less timing with a more optimum a/f ratio. More power, less fuel and emissions.

i think you misunderstood me. i meant exactly what i said. like you said advancing your timing will improve performance, and yes retarding your timing will also reduce the chance of detonation. but see, going from 30 degrees to 10 degrees advance wil also reduce chance of detonation. what i am saying is it would be a better idea to keep the timing as least retarded as possible, or as most advanced as possible before detonation occurs. that will make the most out of your boosted car. you have to remember that retarding your timing lowers your compression ratio during the combustion event reducing power. the more its retarded, the more power you kill.

if you havent purchased a turbo yet and you are deciding how much boost you want and where u want your timing to be, then yes it would be better to just retard the timing a lot and stuff the engine with as much boost as possible, but if someone already has a turbo and they want to set the timing accordingly, you would want it as least retarded or as much advanced as possible before knock occures.

The idea is to run the "optimum" amount of timing. More is not always better. On a comparable basis there is more power to be gained by reducing timing and running the proper a/f ratio rather than increasing timing on a rich tune in order to "lean it out". There is always going to be some detonation...even with a very good tune.

As far as the MAP sensor is concerned it is essentially a chip that responds to changes in intake manifold pressure. This pressure is directly related to engine load and that information is what the PCM uses to determine injector cycle, ignition timing, and other fuctions. If you have a MAP sensor that is only calibrated for 1-bar (atmospheric pressure) then running a supercharger will put it out of its operating range and be unable to tell the PCM what is going on.

Archived