Lexan Glass

HatchbacksRme

I found it somewhere on the web about a week ago, but can't remember where. I need a windshield for my sandrail, and I don't want to use regular windshild glas for fear of it cracking from the frame flexing. Anyway if I find it I'll post it. I do remember that there are 2 different types of lexan, so use only the stuff that doesn't scratch. Also its quite salty too.

1st off you cant find it through google, and another i found it allready. There are 2 different types of lexan, you have the original and then you have margaurd. Found my whole kit for my car for 1100.00 full race application. Thanks anyways... Also if anyone needs refernce its proglass.com

um....no there are 2 types of lexan one that will have the crap scratched out of it, and the other is highly resistant to scratching dumbass....quick acting like you know fukin everything

Once again, you need to calm your 50 year old ass down. Seriously man. Why are you so damn grumpy? Get the sand out of your vagina. You have proved you know quite a bit, but stop trying to constantly act like you know everything. I would like to see Lexan that can't be scratched. Everytime I have seen it, it's scratched. Always. Just prove it, and then people will believe you and all is well. Just stop being such a damn prick.

i'm calm, I don't mean to be an ass, but i'm sick of ssr making all of these claims and crap lately that he obviously knows nothing about. thats all....sorry for being a prick guys.

it is safety glass, it doesn't scratch easily. go to your local mcdonalds and look at some of the big windows....thats lexan safety glass. Notice how it doesn't scratch easily? very resistant to breakage and that's why they use it. (cheaper than a solid window of the same size too)

also I think CAT uses it in some of their equiptment too. and that stuff is in some of the dirtiest conditions around so they would need to resist scratches, else the operator can't see wtf he is doing.

and i'm not 50....i'm as old as you are solles

I work for an excavation company and cat is now using the high quality lexan as windows. The skidsteer's now have it on the front doors the company has had it for a couple months now and so far no signs of scratches. keep in mind it works in the dirt everyday.

pyro, f uck you

Any lexan can be scratched. Take your mudgaurd or whatever out on track and go off a couple times. See what happens.

Just buy sheets and make your own windows.

Lexan windows have a mar-resistant coating to help protect them, and you need to take precautions to preserve it. "Without a coating polycarbonate is very easy to scratch," Mayerle said. "You could scratch it with your skin."

Never use polishes or plastic window prep products to clean a Lexan window. "The only thing to use is a clear window cleaner, or soap and water," Mayerle said. Check with your window supplier on what products can be used; many products sold for cleaning windows work well on glass but will ruin Lexan by eating through the coating. Once the Lexan is scratched, it can't be polished clear again.

The windshields on NASCAR race cars are made of Lexan, which is the same polycarbonate material used on fighter-plane canopies. This material is very strong, but also surprisingly soft. This softness is actually what gives it its strength. When an object hits the Lexan windshield, it doesn't shatter it. Instead, the object scratches, dents or imbeds itself in the windshield.

The windshields are usually constructed from three relatively flat pieces of Lexan. Each piece is supported by a framework built into the roll cage -- this gives the windshield the strength to resist large objects. The downside of a Lexan windshield is that it scratches very easily -- you could scratch one with your fingernail. A bare Lexan windshield would have to be replaced after every race because of scratches from sand and other grit on the track. But instead of replacing them, the NASCAR teams apply an adhesive film to the windshields that is harder than the Lexan and as clear as glass. After each race, the film can be peeled off and replaced, leaving the Lexan unscratched. Some teams apply several layers of this film and remove them one at a time during the race.

Quick Google search on "lexan windshield"

any glass can be scratched for that matter.....

The lexan is very scratch resistant there is not a scratch on the skidsteer window and its a couple months old and it probably sees more dust dirt and rocks than your car will ever see. .... and why would they put somthing in the window that is going to scratch all to hell....

You don't have rocks hitting your window when you spin off doing 50mph+...

I don't know why someone would use it a windshield on a car though that isn't racing in a big series.

Archived