hard shifting automatic - 91 SE

Huffa

Hi all

I have a 91 Accord SE with a 192,000 miles on it. I noticed recently that it's starting to get a bit hard to get out of park. I can do it fine with having a "feel" for it but if you do it with out thinking, which is how it should be, sometimes it's a bit hard.

I have no idea if this is a linkage some where that just needs grease or it's actually inside the transmission?

My wife shifted it back and fourth while I searched underneath for any linkage parts moving and I can hear movement but can't see a thing.

I changed the trans oil about 20,000 ago but I would think that has nothing to do with shifting it.

I might add (it deserves it :thumbsup: ) it's the best car or vehichle I ever had and that's judging it with the 172,000 on when I bought it.

Thanks for the info!

stop parking it on hills without using the E brake. its bad to let the weight of the car sit on the parking pin of your tranny.

stop parking it on hills without using the E brake. its bad to let the weight of the car sit on the parking pin of your tranny.

Your assumption is wrong as I NEVER park it on hills with out using the emergency 1st. It's a bit hard on level ground with out any "stress" on it, a hill has nothing to do with this problem.

You come across a bit cocky to me but it's a good point, I agree but next time ask 1st.

not trying to be cocky dude , i never am go read other posts, if i came off that way im sorry. notice im the only one answering you? lol cause i wanna help if i can. i like helping people solve thier problems. maybe your shift cables are getting sticky , old corroded or what not(like an ebrake cable). maybe you have a bearing of some kind wore out inside the tranny. i dont work on many autos so im not familiar with them inside and out like a manual. i know theres similarities inside though as far as mainshaft countershaft and what not ,bearings and such.

As odd as this sounds, check your front motor mount, which is a dog-bone looking thing behind your radiator, on the engine side of the radiator ('Torque Suspension Mount' is the technical name, I believe). If the rubber insert in the upper 'bone' is broken or torn, it would allow the thru-bolt to ride higher than the center of the mount and it could cause your motor & tranny to shift downwards enough to put pressure on the shift cable. (There're two other mounts: one on driver side and one in the rear-center, firewall side, but none over the tranny). I'm suggesting this because I checked my own AT Shift Cable according to a Haynes Manual for 91 Accords. That link is under the Shift Console and made sure that after removing the lock-pin, the holes lined up. They did. I had been told 2 years ago that the front motor mount looked like it had a crack in the rubber, but it was no issue at that time. It's gotten tougherto shift, and looking at the mount, now, it seems that the bolt is about 1/2 way thru the radius of the rubber of the upper part of the mount.

Also, make sure that your Shift-Lock solenoid is 'clacking' when you step on the brake with the key turned on. That allows the Shifter to drop out of Park & into drive gears. If you have a Shift-Lock over-ride at the passenger side of the Shift Console, back about the D1 location, push your key into it and check to see if that makes the 'P' to other gears shifting easier. Possibility that the Shifter Lock Solenoid may not be disengaging.

Archived