exhaust?

Pballer2005

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the sound of that car in the vid, i don't have an si though, will that affect the sound? no offense to you guys but i don't like angled mufflers, i like it when they are tucked up in the body with a slight glint of chrome poking out, just enough so people will stop and look, but not get followerd by a cop. i just like sleek, clean looking cars that have everything flowing together, personal opinion. like how cranny has his car. modded but still clean, not really a ricer.

well it turns out i have to get a new exhaust, bummer :thumbsup: . i was listening to my car and noticed a weird farting noise coming from the muffler, turns out theres a hole rotted through the exhaust pipe just before the muffler, and its rotted from the inside out so i'm guessing the rest of the pipe is going fall off soon. just out of curiosity, how much do you think it would cost to have a shop replace it with another facotry exhaust, if i can convinse my parents that its going to cost more to fix it than just replace it myself then they'll pay for it, i know that pretty sad but hey i don't want to pay for it if i don't have to :p

EDIT: i've been told that modifying the stock exhaust on a car is illegal, which i think is b.s. so i'm going to do it anyway, but is there any truth to that, i know that most good exhausts said 50 state legal on them, and if it wans't how could they even be allowed to sell it?

MOST states have 95 decibel limits. If you want to stay under it, go with a/an:

RS-R ExMag (NOT the GT-II)

Apex'i World Sport (2)

Tanabe Hyper Medalion

etc.

http://www.hopupracing.com/apn1mucico92.html

http://www.hopupracing.com/apwospmuci.html

the first one clames more hp, the second claims milder sound. for one, can it really give me that much hp? i thought an exhaust would only give me about 3-5? the exhaust in my truck was barely noticable, although it was 4000 lbs, but it sounded really nice.

99 civic ex coupe, its on the bottom of my post. i pulled the muffler off from the bolts in front of the rear axle, suprisingly its not loud at all, at least not as loud as i thought, prolly just barely over 100 decibles, my intake is louder, you guys with mufflers over 100 db sure not getting ripped off? i can't even tell the difference between that video that 99civicsi99 posted and my car without the muffler. i'm not being rude or anything but is it really going to be worth buying a $500+ exhaust? i'm not really in it for the performance since i prolly wont be able to get much so i just want a better sound.

• 3 weeks later...

well i just had the muffler shop basically build me a catback exhaust with a magnaflow universal muffler. it sounds pretty nice and its not as loud or obnoxious as no muffler. added a little torque too. has a nice mellow deep pur.

My exhaust mount snapped Thursday and when it snapped the other one did. (previous owner ghetto rigged ebay special) When that all happened my exhaust snapped in between the cat/header mount and the cat. Sooooooooooooooo this Thursday I should have a Megan system on my door step. I can't wait Drift Spec

It's not the best but it is definitely better than what was on there. Plus I get to put it on.....THE RIGHT WAY!!!

are you talking about the link that the last guy posted or just import exhausts in general cuz the link sais cat back exhaust, meaning it goes from behind the cat out to the back. and that "fart can" aint tiny, looks pretty big to me, bigger than my magna flow muffler, which is a universal one that they use on v8 and v6 too.

Hmm...there is this one from APC in autozone, for like $29.99

lmao and my friend put it on his toyo tercel and it sounds pretty deep and doesnt sound like a grinding turbine...

but i dont know if it does shat for performance, it is IMHO a noob ricer customization, but i've seen some mufflers that where i the $150 range at pepboys...

i'm new to the import car sene as well, so i may not know much =/

-Gil

lol are you talking about those cherry bomb mufflers? those would prolly perform worse than ur stock exhaust but sound the same as any other glass pakc muffler. stick ur fingers inside it and you'll prolly feel a bunch of metel things sticking out into the pipe. these scoop up exhaust into the pacing but they usually stick out so much that they really slow things down.

i have a magnaflow catback and its loud as hell. i really want to do something about it soon. especially since my car isnt incredibly fast right now. it just draws way too much unwanted attention. i tried adding a silencer and it helped on the freeway but otherwise made it sound like a weedeater. can i just weld a new muffler onto my 2.5 exhaust, or would i need to redo the whole thing to quiet this baby down? any recommendations on where to get just a new muffler, and what type? i like the look of the 4 inch tip, but have to do something about how loud it is. thanks in advance.

really ur magnaflow is loud? i looked at there website and the civics they have sound really nice, not loud but still agressive. do you have a high flow cat or diff headers? that changes the sound alot.

weird mabey the universal muffler is different from the honda specific muffler. i guess mine would be quieter cuz its really ment to put on big v8's so it prolly has alot more sound insulation. the intake will make it louder but i'm sure you already know the difference between exhaust sound and intake sound. do the catback exhuasts have a primary silencer built in cuz that really quiets it down, i took mine off once, sounded like a ride along mower only 10x louder.

Archived