Funny noise when I accelerate...

So, I just got back to my sol after being away from it for a month. I told my folks to drive it a bit when I was gone and I guess they took the "bit" part a little too seriously. 60 miles in the whole month, and now it's making a weird noise when I accelerate through 2nd and 3rd gear. It's not constant, nor is it really loud (I can drown it out with my stock stereo system), but it doesn't quite sound healthy.

Here are the details. Around 25 mph in 2nd gear (2600 RPM give or take) I'll hear it for about a second. Then I'll hear it again for about 3-4 seconds in 3rd gear in the mid 30s (about the same RPM range there too). The noise sounds like it's coming from below the cabin, perhaps even with me or even behind (sorry this is not really engine related, but I didn't see a section closer related). I would describe the sound as slighty grating, as if perhaps loose sheet metal was involved, rubbing against something. It's like holding a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle, except the playing card is made of metal.

Thanks very much for anyone who takes the time to read this and give me their suggestions. I doesn't sound like a big deal, really, but anything that messes with the way my car sounds kills me, since the sound of my car is my favorite part about it.

look who's back! TS JOHN is back!

yo dude.

ummmm...is your car dropped at all?

my car, when the front axle was bad made a clicking sound b/c i had a bad cv joint. and it only did it on right turns and around 20 mph when the auto tranny shifts into 2nd...

Hey, man. Thanks for the quick response.

It doesn't sound like we have the same problem. My car isn't dropped (yet -- although I've got a whole new suspension setup in a big box in my room waiting into my and my friends all have a day off in common) and the noise is not turn-related. It's also more of a grating, deffo.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If anyone knows some common things to check, keep them comin'.

Edit: By the way, that new sig is pretty cool. I need some flattering pictures of the sol like that.

Hey man! Welcome back! Good to see you.

Ummm, check your tranny fluid maybe, Mine sounded like that for a coupole of days when I first got the car, the decided not to move, the tranny went out. The buttheads who built it put none in it. If not that, It might sound wierd, but my shift linkage bolt came out and it kinda sounded like what you are describing. Have you looked under the car for it at all?

Thanks for the suggestion and the welcome back, EH6TD. If you noticed, my only post while I was away was to defend your honor. I hope you got that straightened out with ITR_Girl.

I will deffo check my tranny fluid. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Also, both I and my tuner friends have checked under the car but not too thoroughly just cuz of how much time we had. Next time I'll check out the shift linkage bolt and the heat shields too. Thanks, guys.

Also check the heatshields, if you still have any. They seem to rattle only through a certain RPM range

definitely.

Stop hitting on ITR_Girl in my thread. No offense, but I just need an answer.

I have checked the heat shields and they don't seem to be the problem, although I will check them more thoroughly when I get the chance.

I drove it around a little more recently and I'm pretty sure the thing is deffo exhaust related. I can now get the sound in any of my five gears if I hover at 2400 RPMs for more than an instant. That's encouraging, since it's easier to tighten everything down on your exhaust than it is to change your transmission. Still, the more specific ideas the better.

Anyone who mentioned the heat shield is probably right..I took one wrong speedbump in my '92 hatch that was dropped and fracked mine up pretty bad..at about 3/4000 rpm it'd rattle and clank..sound like it was grinding..then that'd be that.

Since I'm getting so many suggestions to check the heat shields I'll deffo be doing more than a cursory check of them very soon; hopefully tomorrow. Maybe I'll try taking them off and driving a bit to see if that solves the problem. Since they are useless anyway. Although I would worry about my shielding capacity, should I get in another laser battle.

EH6TD: I know the piping on my sol is stock, but I'm not sure about the muffler. Mine's a bosal, and I don't know if those came stock on 95 s models or not, but my sol seems to have a bit more of a tone to it than my friend's 93 si. What's stock on hondas?

Edit: Thanks for all the help. Will be sure to update as the problem progresses/is fixed.

Oh. Wow. Good advice.

If I do remove them it will be only to see if they're the source of the problem. Then I would prolly put them back on and tighten them suckers down.

Details hopefully tonight.

since the heat shields all go in between the car and the exhaust , not the exhaust and the ground that makes no fukin sense to me at all but in any matter. they put heat shields on to protect the ground do they? hahahaha

since the heat shields all go in between the car and the exhaust , not the exhaust and the ground that makes no fukin sense to me at all but in any matter. they put heat shields on to protect the ground do they? hahahaha

I thought it was to keep excess heat from floating into the cabin... If they are loose at all, they will rattle a little, I ripped mine off, it was a pain in the ass to get off my civic, Had to pull at them...

There are two heat shields. Upper, which I assume does what you're talking about, and lower, which prolly does what Redcoats1976 is talking about.

We took them both off. Problem solved. This was unexpected, since neither seemed loose. But, you can't argue with results. My car sounds fine again, although of course I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your help, everybody.

Archived