IACV

Bullhead

Behind your IM there is a valve that you can just with a flat head. make sure it's tight. I had to replace mine.

What is "IM"? I new here.

I did take the IACV off an cleaned it out although it didn't look that bad. I reinstalled it but no difference. More specifically, at cold start the idle surges from aprox. 1000 to 1500 rpm untill its warm.

Another problem is that when I let go of the gas obruptly the idle return to 1000 rpm them bounces back to 1300 rpm and back to 1K rpm.

I know the idle is too high but I'm trying to take one problem at a time unless they are related. I just acquired this car an the PO (Previous Owner) now has amnesia reguarding the vehicles history.

Any help is very appreciated

Thanx in advance :thumbsup:

IM=Intake Manifold

it's the small compartment in which the intake tubing takes you tooooo, then there's teh throttle body, then teh IM

edit: oh and the bouncing tach...my car did that for a while and i replaced the distributer/rotor and it stopped.

Well I swapped the distributor with a friend an no change was noticed.

I tried to adjust the idle at the IM (Throttle body), but it won't adjust the idle down only higher. I even swapped the idle screw with a friend and no change. Can the throttle body be the culprit being the the idle adjustment screw didn't adjust the idle down?

I also cleaned the FITV. The result were the cold start corrected for now. Will recheck when the engine cools down.

as solles said its definitely either your IACV , your EGR valve getting plugged up , or maybe its your purge solenoid(part of your evap system) ive seen that cause idle issues. im betting on IACV. your describing its exact symptoms dude right down to the hitting the gas having it drop down and start doing it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

found out the problem under the throttle body there is a valve with 2 coolant hoses goin into it they are prett small ones. on the back of the valve there a to "8mil" bolts. there are 3 "10mil" bolts holding the valve on. take them off then disconnect the coolant hoses. take the back cover off which the 2 8mil bolts are holding on. there is a white plastic screw type thing in there now take a flat head and tighten it all the way then back it out one turn then put honda bond or superglue around it so that the screw wont back it self out from the pressure of the motor.

Usually honda engine surge is from a cooling problem, motor may be getting too hot

if you read better they said at startup meaning cold.

found out the problem under the throttle body there is a valve with 2 coolant hoses goin into it they are prett small ones. on the back of the valve there a to "8mil" bolts. there are 3 "10mil" bolts holding the valve on

congrats , thats called an iacv like you were told , lol , good job man.

• 2 weeks later...
i cant beleve i have to say this again. NEVER TOUCH THE IDLE SCREW ON A FI CAR , UNLESS PREVIOUSLY ALTERED.

hmm so you are telling me that after fixing the FITV and the idle more than likely goin down to about 500 or it could be at like 1.2 that not to mess with it huh, and for the record i didnt say "turn the idle screw" and nothing else, I had a different statement if i recall, no point in a war just dont correct me when your not correcting me correctly. thanks :D

Archived