problems with the car.. Can anyone help me?

carputer

This post is a copy from another forum,,, im hoping there will be more experienced people on this forum,,, thanks!!!

Honda civic 99... I drive the car really smooth and im not hard on it at all, i would ahve expected better from it!!

Anyways, the problem used to be when my gas tank was below the half way mark, it would take about 4-5 turns to start (without pressing gas or letting go of the key)

now its starting to do it all the time... even when i just fill up with gas... I try turning the key, (just enough to let some gas into the engine, and then shutting off, and then doing it again, it doesnt help... it always takes about 1-2 seconds to start (it used to be instantaneous)

What do you think the problem could be? My battery is kind of old but it doesnt seem to have any problems turning the engine over. Could it be the fuel pump?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

*UPDATE:

Ok so i went to the cinema tonight and the check engine went on. I jumped the PCM and got error 8. In the haynes manual it oculd mean 3 things. TCD(top dead center) sensor no signal, malfunction, or something wrong with the timing belt or something. (TDC position)

I took the timing belt cover apart and the timing belt was not loose. I changed it myself at 100 000KM. There was no unusual wear on the belt.

So im guessing its the sensor thats broke. Cause the TDC has to do with the ignition right? if theres a malfunction in the TDC sensor that could be causing the problem when i start my car?

If anyone could give me any information about the TDC that could help me with my problem please dont be shy

*UPDATE2:*

ok i brought it to the honda dealer. The ****** was rude and i hated the service.

He went to talk to a mechanic and they said 'code 8 is for engine idling problem, not the TDC sensor',,,, who should I believe? A book, or a mechanics opinion?

Where can i find details about error 8 when jumping the two wires on the net?

I cleared the error on the car so i cant bring it to the honda dealer to get fixed yet,,,, but thats what Ill do I think,, its 48$ to put it on the odbII reader.... (or i can but a reader myself for the computer and do it myself? the ODBII scantool for a computer is like 80$ and i can use it in my carputer setup to give me engine information etc....

Ideas?

I dont know what to do any more. i dont wanna bring the car to the honda dealer,, the ****** treated me like ******.

Thanks!!!!

your TDC sensor is taking a poop and its not gonna last long prolly. you need a distributor. start looking at junkyards dude. cause if you knew what the dealer wanted for a new one , youd barf where you stood , lol

your TDC sensor is taking a poop and its not gonna last long prolly. you need a distributor. start looking at junkyards dude. cause if you knew what the dealer wanted for a new one , youd barf where you stood , lol

450$ for a new distributor...

Cant I just change the sensor itself?

And are you sure its the TDC? maybe its another error... the haynes manual says error 8 but the mechanic @ honda dealer says its an idling problem...

I dont wanna spend 500$-1000$ on my car :(

how does the car run right now? and no you cant just change the TDC sensor. its built right into the dizzy unfortunately. give me all the symptoms you can think of.

how does the car run right now? and no you cant just change the TDC sensor. its built right into the dizzy unfortunately. give me all the symptoms you can think of.

Once started its alright. only problem is it takes a while to start, (it turns about 3-4 times, takse about 2 seconds to start)

Also if im driving at cruising speeds and come to a red light, with the A/C on, i feel that the engine is a little rougher than before, but that may jsut be an illusion now that I think its the TDC....

Thats about all that ive noticed... i was doing city driving with lots of stops and I was able to do 500 KM on my tank,,,(A/C is almost always on) so im guessing im not using any more gas that I should be...

I took an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow,,, im tired of having this f*cking light on... ill get it diagnosed (50$) and then ill see what im gonig to do... if it IS the dizzy thats not working right, should i get a new one at a junk yard or should I buy it new? :S:S

Thanks a lot!

you dont need to pay someone to scan it , you can get the codes yourself. and do that and get back to us , passenger side floor kick panel , behind it and tucked up prolly , a blue 2 wire connector not on anything. use a wire to cross those 2 wires and turn ignition to on(not start it). engine light will blink your codes , long one for 10 , short one for 1.

Archived