how aerodymic is a body kit?

Pballer2005

I'm looking at a ground kit for my car and i was just wondering if it would make my car less aerodynamic. Givin that you are adding more surface area and stopping air from just flowing straight under the car couldn't this affect things like gas mileage and top speed, not that i'm going fast or anything o:) . I know race cars use them to add downforce but at the expense of top speed, plus i don't really think i'm going fast enough to have to worry about down force. any ideas?

I dont think you would have to worry about anything aerodynamically seing that you wont be going 200mph + but in style i would just say dont get a knock off bodykit, i hate them most of them dont fit right and look funky when you install them...

Or just dont worry about the body kit and do somthing that will actually help, like a turbo or somthing a little more useful than a body kit

Or just dont worry about the body kit and do somthing that will actually help, like a turbo or somthing a little more useful than a body kit

Haha, its obvious you know nothing about cars if thats the first "mod" you suggest. If a body kit is what he wants then he can get it.

Haha, its obvious you know nothing about cars if thats the first "mod" you suggest. If a body kit is what he wants then he can get it.

Yea i must know nothing... seeing how a body kit doesnt do anything for performance ..... a body kit is ok for all show and no go .... adding a body kit = more weight which means your gunna be slower. I never said he couldnt do it but i think they look gay just my opinion

well i dont know about heavy , back and front bumper and 2 side skirts all fiberglass might weight in at 50 lbs tops. theres nothing to them. backyard bomber is half right , why waste money on somin thats just no good for nothing but getting made fun of for being a ricer. but G unit is also right cause a turbo is not a good first mod to get into.

I know personally the first mod I did was install my pine tree air freshener, so I guess you're kinda right.

Guys, if this guy wants to get a bodykit, then let him get one. Maybe he's going to make his car more of a show car, than a performance one. And I have seen a couple of bodykit manufacturers, that actually do windtunnel their products. But I'm not sure. IMO it's his car let him do what he wants.

u know what i think is to do it like i am doing it. first i started stock then i though of a body kit but then i was thinking well i would like a body kits but then ill be called a ricer so first i will do engine mods and get some good rep with the local racers then i would get i nice body kit so i wont be called a ricer once every body knows who u are.

Once you start racing you won't want a body kit.

If you want to hit your top speed, you'll need a lot of power.

Mugen tests their body kits in a wind tunnel. Thats it.

it's a daily driver so i don't want to do too much to the engine except a nice intake and exhaust and maybe just do some engine dress up. i have to be able to drive it to work and school so i don't wanna try to add something that will take a week to install or cost a fortune. if i wanted to go with forced induction i would want to go all out and i don't have enough money for "all out". i was just curious to see if gas mileage would be affected or if i would have a hard time keeping my car at freeway speeds cuz the the added air friction, that's all.

Also, front lips have been shown to help you get to the top speed of your car (if it's limited be aerodynamics and not gearing or power).

I would think that the lip would cause drag .... kinda like a wing it probably hurts more than helps

The only time that it would cause drag would be if you were doing 200+ mph like i stated in the first place... If this guy wants to buy a bodykit for his first mod then let him.

The only time that it would cause drag would be if you were doing 200+ mph like i stated in the first place... If this guy wants to buy a bodykit for his first mod then let him.

It doesnt matter what speed you travel at ...

its not gunna effect performance unless your traveling at high speeds if thats what you mean. But drag just doesnt magically happen at around 200 mph...

Archived