How to clean cylinder head mating surface

Yawn

My First Post (Newbie here)

I am replacing the head gasket of my 94 civic and I just want to know the best way to clean the mating surface (cylinder head & block). This is the first time I am going to do this kind of job on my car. I know I am not suppose to use any abrasives since head is made of aluminum. A friend told me to scrape it using using a sharp blade. Thanks in advance.

after using the sharp blade, I can still see some marking of the old gasket on the surface. How am I suppose to remove these markings. I don't want to keep on using the sharp blade since I might damage the surface. Can I use something like paint thinner or acetone to remove these marking left?

use thinner and a dish sponge with a scrubbing surface on one side. works good(minimizing the amount you spill into bottom end of course). if this still isnt getting it all off for ya , than use a scotchbrite pad with fast long strokes. also , the sleeves arent alluminum. so you can wirewheel them with a soft brass one and id recommend it for a nice new seal. just need good control over your grinder or drill as to not knick alluminum surface.

should I clean both mating surfaces until they are shiny or some gasket marks left will be ok? I don't know if I should clean it up until no marks are left on the surfaces. I am trying to run my finger across the surface trying to feel any bumps and it seems it's pretty smooth even if marks are still present.

Your name made me tired, Im out.

Good night.

lol. Not my name, it was your avatar that made you tired. I hope by the time you go online tomorrow you have the answer to my question.

Archived