suggestions to start a civic, that's been sitting unused

stand watie

folks,

this is my first post.

i just "fell heir" to a 1987 honda civic, 5speed, that i'm told ran very well until it was "parked" over a year ago.

it shows 255K on the odometer & supposedly had engine overhaul about a year before the owner died.

the battery is totally dead, the radio & speakers have been "lifted" by persons unknown & a tire was flat, otherwise it looks FINE.

when "jumper cables" were put on & 3 gallons of fresh gas were added, it "cranked" fine but didn't start.

any suggestions to get my FREE civic running????

thanks, sw

take each spark plug out and spray a fair amount of WD-40 into each cyl. , than with spark plugs out turn engine over a few times by hand . when engine sits for long time is good to lube cyl. walls for first startup. highly recomended. and if its been sitting for that long that battery in it is done , get a new one.

take each spark plug out and spray a fair amount of WD-40 into each cyl. , than with spark plugs out turn engine over a few times by hand . when engine sits for long time is good to lube cyl. walls for first startup. highly recomended. and if its been sitting for that long that battery in it is done , get a new one.

i KNOW the battery is a dead duck. it happens that i have a near new battery from our company "run around Geo metro" (recently a donation to the salvation army) that will fit.

the wd-40 idea sounds like a good one! THANKS!

free dixie,sw

You could also pick up some quick start fluid from your local auto parts store and take the intake off and spray it into the throttle body.

also, THANKS!

i wouldn't know how to do that on a fuel injection system, but perhaps Gus does. (i am NOT "mechanical", but rather near hopeless, when it comes to working on cars. i've never owned a Honda.)

changing oil/filters/adding fluids/replacing easy things (like batteries/lights/horns) is about my limit.

free dixie,sw

You also might want to add some rubbing alcohol to the gas tank to dry up all the water that might be sitting in the gas tank. I know that they sell some stuff to dry up the water but I've always used rubbing alcohol.

i like cranny and gworthyunit's idea too.

in order to do use the quick start fluid, you need to take off the air box/intake tube. this is very easy and should be self-explainitory. just look at it.

then right before the intake manifold there is the throttle body. that's where you want to spray the quick-start fluid. i've done this and it works great.

i like cranny and gworthyunit's idea too.

in order to do use the quick start fluid, you need to take off the air box/intake tube. this is very easy and should be self-explainitory. just look at it.

then right before the intake manifold there is the throttle body. that's where you want to spray the quick-start fluid. i've done this and it works great.

dont act like you know sh*t, b****

NEVER , i repeat NEVER use starting fluid , or ether on an engine unless absolutely neccesary. that car will start just fine youl see. its probably got stale gas in it too so as soon as you get it running top up tank with new supreme. if your lucky its almsot empty.

Archived