Help removing front rotor on 91 Accord

Puckhndlr

Greetings all,

I am in the process of replacing the front rotors and pads of my 91 Accord Sedan. Getting the calipers off was no problem. However, getting the rotor off is proving to be quite the challenge. I was able to loosen and remove the 4 bolts on the hub of the rotor, however there is a big King Nut on the axle holding the rotor. I used a pneumatic gun to try and remove the nut, but to no avail. Someone mentioned that some older cars had a reverse thread pattern on those nuts so when you stopped the nut would actually tighten.

So my question for the experts out there is this...is the big nut clockwise to loosen or counter clock wise to loosen?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Puckhndlr

I dont think you need to remove that nut at all to take the rotor off, there maybe 1 or 2 counter sunk screws if there is you might have to take them out with a impact screwdriver, if there is no screws then the rotor will just be "floating" so hit it with a big hammer on the front to start with (inbetween the studs/nut holes) like at 12 o clock 6,3,9.

Stick at it it will come off :thumbsup:

could be worse, my roomates sister had an old accord, dont remember the year, but he was gonna replace the front brakes and the rotors were behind the hub so the hub would have needed to be pressed apart to get the rotor out, but he never ended up doing it, so that might be what your up against

well buddy

90 to 97 accord there is only one way to replace rotors

take off ur steering knukle and take it to any machine shop they can do that over there

these pressed rotors

its not an easy job

any other question awan565@yahoo.com

Greetings all,

I am in the process of replacing the front rotors and pads of my 91 Accord Sedan. Getting the calipers off was no problem. However, getting the rotor off is proving to be quite the challenge. I was able to loosen and remove the 4 bolts on the hub of the rotor, however there is a big King Nut on the axle holding the rotor. I used a pneumatic gun to try and remove the nut, but to no avail. Someone mentioned that some older cars had a reverse thread pattern on those nuts so when you stopped the nut would actually tighten.

So my question for the experts out there is this...is the big nut clockwise to loosen or counter clock wise to loosen?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Puckhndlr

acually i just replaced my rotors so let me tell u how its donr. first u take off the axle nut (counterclockwise) take out the 4 little bolts that hold the hub and rotor in place, then u have to take the hub off with a slide hammer. now with this in mind i suggest u have the money for a new hub because sometimes the hub are not easy to get off and they break so be prepared and when u finish u just bang the hub back on the spline and drill the the axle nut back on put the 4 bolts in and your done.

dude! take it to a shop and spend the $200.00+ to get them replaced.

here's my experience with my 96 accord:

i used a 1-7/16" socket and torque wrench to remove the center axle nut (counterclockwise). also, leave the tire on and on the ground and try to loosen the nut. that son-of-a-gun stubborn nut has a dimple instead of a cotter-pin. this makes it real hard to loosen. i was also told that if the bearings are shot, you need to replace them. anyway, i left it alone and will have a shop do it for me. the frustration isn't worth it. good luck dude!

Archived