Hi all,

A great deal on a 97 Del Sol S popped up, and figured it would be great

to buy considering my current Volvo is on it's deathbed. Aside from

the common roof leaks/squeaks, and some leaking, can anybody comment

(preferrably from experience) about other issues they've had with their

Del Sols?

With my sports car days over, I'm mainly looking to get this for

commuting purposes, and wouldn't personally define it as a 'sports'

car. It's more a civic with the roof cut off.

Some have commented on the suspension variances of the S and Si (sway

bars only, spring ratings?). Can anyone comment on the differences

between these two submodels? I'm not looking to get the 160 hp model (though it

would be more fun).

Are there problems or things I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

-D

Hi all,

A great deal on a 97 Del Sol S popped up, and figured it would be great

to buy considering my current Volvo is on it's deathbed. Aside from

the common roof leaks/squeaks, and some leaking, can anybody comment

(preferrably from experience) about other issues they've had with their

Del Sols?

With my sports car days over, I'm mainly looking to get this for

commuting purposes, and wouldn't personally define it as a 'sports'

car. It's more a civic with the roof cut off.

Some have commented on the suspension variances of the S and Si (sway

bars only, spring ratings?). Can anyone comment on the differences

between these two submodels? I'm not looking to get the 160 hp model (though it

would be more fun).

Are there problems or things I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

-D

well the things you should look for on the del sols is good roof and seal conditions. almost everyother del sol owner ive talked to say that their roof leaks and their seals squeak. the squeaking can be fixed by tightening the seals, and taking good care of the seals. the roof leaks, that you have to just replace all the seals on the roof and its very costly. take a good look at the trunk because ive heard of the trunk leaking. however mechanically del sols are very sound vehicles. between the s and si, the si is better, its more sportier there's more performance parts for it etc. i went to a del sol meet last week and we all filled up at the same time and after 120 miles of driving my s had way way more gas than the si had. they had a nuge above half a tank, and my s only burned through 1/8 of a tank. its a far better commuter car if thats what you say your going to be doing with it. its still sporty and for your needs itd probably be best for you. but i will say i dislike the del sol as a daily driver for the lack of space it has in the cabin, but it makes up for it in the trunk space. and lastly, although the s may meet your needs as far as gas mileage, style, and something that can somewhat perform, the s i will say is like a bare minimums type of car. you have power windows and thats it. no powersteering, power windows, power door locks, no cruise control, no abs, the 96-97 models are the only models with trunk poppers, the years before 96 the s didnt come standard with passenger side airbags; the s doesnt have 4 wheel disc brakes, however im not sure if the si has it but i know the vtec does. idk if that helps but thats some informational things to note about the del sol.

I have a '97 Si ... my seals do not leak. I keep them lubricated with Shinetzu silicone grease (available from your local Honda dealer). Shinetzu does not cause the seals to degrade. Some common silicone sprays or lubricants do cause seals to degrade. I get between 31-33 mpg in the city and about 36-37 on the highway. I have an OEM K&N air filter and a low restriction exhaust. I also have had a recent tune-up. My experience shows that full synthetic oil significantly improves mpg (by about 3-4). Hope this is helpful ...

I appreciate both of your responses. My sports car days are on hold for a few years, and I'm absolutely content with a commuter car. My wife has a normal car, so other needs can be satisfied with it. I drive a '90 Volvo 740 (auto) with a whopping ~115 hp, so i'm used to slow already. The Del Sols slightly reduced power and weight will probably yield the same slug-like performance. That's ok.

The current owner has some 195/15s wheels, but I may get rid of them just to remove the aspect of attraction. I live in So Cal and would like to do what I can to fend away the thefts. Aside from the stock 13s? Are there any recommended stock wheels that would work (to yield accurate speedo info, of course)

i have a 93 si and am very happy with it.minimal roof leaks(a drip or two during absolute monsoons) and 30-35 mpg.its actually a peppy little car,though nothing like my 66 pontiac hotrod.alas,the hotrod has no a.c.,heater or defroster and gets about 12-18 mpg so its sitting in the garage most days.id buy it and enjoy it if i were you.

THanks for all the info.

Unfortunately the seller told me yesterday aftenroon that he was just going to give it to his son and that the sale was off. Darn! Otherwise, I'd most likely be taking home a SOL in superb condition right now! I haven't seen any with these specs, service history, year, or color, at this price, so i'm really bummed. But that's how it's meant to be I guess.

SO if you know any body in the Cal looking to get rid of a decent one, lemme know!

Archived