Trans swap

sohcVTEC-E

You guys think I could drop a trans out and put a new trans in on a floor jack? I don't think my car will make it down to TN... I need tips and advice yo. The only thing I don't think I could get on is the new flywheel cuz I know the clutch and flywheel torque specs are really really important and I don't have a torque wrench but I will be going back to my Voc. School so I'll put it in then... But yeah, help me out.

put front of car up in the air with wheels off on jackstands!!!. have someone step on brakes while you crack axle nuts. undo upper balljoints on both sides. also undo the flex hose(2 10mm bolts) from the spindle for a little more slack if its not needed to get axles out fine but makes it easier. take out your wishbone bolts(long 17mm nut and bolt holds strut to LCA). cut wheels all the way to get axle out of spindle(one way for one side , the other for the other). pop out of trans with flathead screwdriver and push down on LCA to seperate it enough to slide axle out. now , head under the car with a 14 , 12 , and 17mm sockets. theres 2 L brackets going from tranny to engine take those off(412mm and 1 14 i beleve it is). than take the dust cover off 2 more 12mm's and couple 10's i think. now 4 , 17mm bolts , 1 front of engine and 3 in the back engine/tranny mount. now get back under hood , remove passenger front engine mount (3 17mm bolts) , and take the starter off(2, 12mm). now only the passenger side mount is holding trans in. remove the ground that goes to trans , remove the 2 bolts holding clutch slave cyl to tranny and 1 bolt holding the line towards firewall. unclip your backup light connector from trans. take all but 2 (top 2 under dizzy) tranny housing bolts out(17mm). place jack under tranny and have some blocks ready. now take weight of engine and trans with jack(from under tranny) , and remove side mount from tranny not car(2, 17mm nuts , 1, 17mm bolt).

now engine should fall with jack. use blocks under oilpan to sit engine on. you can only lower engine so far till pulleys hit passenger side subframe , dont let your pulleys rest on the car like that they can break. once engine is sitting on blocks about 4 inches only from where it sits in car bolted up. now take your 2 remaining 17mm tranny housing bolts out. have jack under tranny still just barely lifting on it. and slide tranny away from engine , sometimes there still need a little persuasion but normally come right away. back it out enough so mainshaft will clear and lower it down and out. reverse for install. not only do you need a torqe wrench for clutch bolts , you need a 10mm 12 point socket as well for pressure plate , and 14mm 12 point socket for flywheel bolts. if i missed anything man im sorry trying to think as i go here. thats the worst of it though.

PS. im doing one of these myself today , putting mainshaft bearings in a riced out 98 civic , lol. will have pics of the insides of a Y8 trans later.

oops on passenger side pulleys , lol , brainfart. and for you using your arms to take tranny out sure. for putting it back in i wouldnt recommend it and if thats the way you do it i feel bad for your customers mainshaft and clutch disc. put it on a jack and do it the proper way. what you mean cliff notes solles , i dont follow ya?lol

Show me ruined shafts and discs then talk. It is easy, you lift it up, fit the mainshaft into the clutch, press the trans against the block, put a bolt in with one hand while holding with the other. A hell of a lot easier than a jack.

im done now , took 6 hours start to finish , trans out and in and tranny mainshaft bearings replaced. you guys do it whatever fukin way you want , i could care less , using bolts to pull tranny in by the sounds of it. way to go.

6 hours? Thats a long ass time to replace bearings.

Bolts don't pull it on. You press it against the block with your arms. Not rocket science.

i do mine the same way as ssr...as for needing a torque wrench try autozone's loan a tool, or maybe another parts store might have a similar program where ur from.

6 hours a long time to tear a trans out and break it down , replace the bearings , and clean it out(metal frags) and put trans back together , and fire it back in car and test drive it? why am i even doing arguing with you again. was tryin to help the guy give him a step by step , and so happened to be doin one myself and show pics and cool stuff , and you gotta run your fukin mouth and try and cause problems. get a life loser. done wasting my time on fags like you. if you got nothing nice to say , than STFU. doesnt matter if i said i do it the same way as you cause than you woulda thought of another way to be the one upper.

Wow, you sure get butthurt about taking a long time to do a trans. 30 minutes to pull it, 1.5 hours to tear it down, clean, reassemble, 30 minutes to put it back in.

i dont do it for a living dude , this is relaxed drinking beer smoking grass , spare time thing for me. but i know your the best SSR , the fastest , most knowing , if you dont beleve him , just ask him.

Archived