K@N panel Vs. AEM CAI

EXtacy

I just took over the reins on my wifes 99 Civic EX and am coming from the Subaru camp. I want to do a very basic mod set up, without any exhaust, since this car will be used for business. I dropped in a K@N panel filter yesterday after a full tune up. I was curious as to what would be the benefit of getting the AEM CAI over the panel filter. I had an Injen CAI in my subie and the filter would get real dirty fast in the fender well and to take it out and clean it I would have to remove the wheel and fender lining. Would I get enough performance gain with the AEM on the Civic that would warrant a change from the panel filter? Or would keeping the panel filter and looking at other options work better?

I just took over the reins on my wifes 99 Civic EX and am coming from the Subaru camp. I want to do a very basic mod set up, without any exhaust, since this car will be used for business. I dropped in a K@N panel filter yesterday after a full tune up. I was curious as to what would be the benefit of getting the AEM CAI over the panel filter. I had an Injen CAI in my subie and the filter would get real dirty fast in the fender well and to take it out and clean it I would have to remove the wheel and fender lining. Would I get enough performance gain with the AEM on the Civic that would warrant a change from the panel filter? Or would keeping the panel filter and looking at other options work better?

I think the k&n is BS.definately go aem.

yea a short ram would stay alot cleaner, keeps it in the engine compartment so its not that open to the elements like a CAI is, plus if you get a CAI and not a bypass for it, if it gets submerged your screwed

get a short ram, alot easier to take care of if u ask me.......

i liked having my CAI when i had it but without a bypass like dcletten said u can't drive it in the rain bcuz u WILL suck up water from puddles and crap

I don't know about you guys, but my previous experience with a short ram is a loss of power!!! I would rather go stock with a drop in and maintain the low end power and torque than put in a short ram and have no power in the daily driving range. With me it is either CAI or stock with a drop in. The short rams suck!!!

I don't know about you guys, but my previous experience with a short ram is a loss of power!!! I would rather go stock with a drop in and maintain the low end power and torque than put in a short ram and have no power in the daily driving range. With me it is either CAI or stock with a drop in. The short rams suck!!!

well then it sounds like you already made up your mind

are you kidding me? short rams are for more low end, whereas CAI is for high end power, at least thats whatt ive always been told

I've used both, and I'd agree that short rams lose low end. Go on AEMs site and compare the SRI and CAI. There is a difference, but mostly in the high end. Beware that AEMs SRI filter location is in a really crapty location for the 96-98 civic LX.

First off go CAI, second you guys are full of crap. You would have to FULLY submerge your car in water to hydrolock. You will not suck up any water through a cold air. Ask anyone that knows about cars and stop spreading BAD information.

u also have 2 figure how high the car sits off the ground....where my car sits right now, when i had my CAI it would suck crap off the ground when ever u got on the throttle.... it sat a whole 3" or so off the ground

i know this bcuz i parked it in my driveway and watched it suck up the water off my driveway when my friend was revin it up........

I highly doubt you were sucking water in the engine though. I mean think of putting a straw half an inch from a glass of water and sucking as hard as you can... You'll agitate the water but won't suck any up. The only real way you can get the water is by sticking the straw in the glass. Just like an intake.

j"s racing intake. short ram and same gains as a cai and better throttle response

I am not so much worried about hydrolock. Is the gain with a CAI worth the expense of having to jack up the car, remove the tire, and remove the fender well lining to simply clean or replace the air filter every 10,000 miles? Or is their an easier way to get to the filter to clean it? In my previous experience with a CAI, the filter would get very dirty sitting in the fender well, so unless there is an easy way to get to it and service it, I don't see the profit versus the cost of owning a CAI, unless you are fully modded and need the extra flow. I am just looking at adding this one mod.

Archived