What to do with noobs and off-topic posts

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, i've been thinking for a while about how to do an FAQ section or an area for information. I'll need to look into it further and put it on my todo list, along with a million other things...

remember that tard in the accord section filling every thread with his question disregarding anyone elses question they made the thread for?

people posting for no reason should be warned

trolls should be dealt with more rash and actually banned because it gets annoying.

there is an FAQ section.. it says what not to ask.. CivRacingGirl7 stickied it after she posted it.

i think it would be a good idea for Vtech, V-Teck, VTAK, vtec, v-tec, vtech, v-tech.. etc to be auto-edited like the word f*ck and pootang are.

Another forum that I'm on, when you join, your first 8 posts have to be approved by a moderator before they are visible to all the other members. This is awesome because it filters out a lot of the first few stupid questions that a new member asks.

No they wouldn't. There would just be a section for the mods to review the posts (only they would see it) and each time a mod came on they could approve or disapprove the posts. The post wouldn't actually go through until a mod showed up to approve it.

Another forum that I'm on, when you join, your first 8 posts have to be approved by a moderator before they are visible to all the other members. This is awesome because it filters out a lot of the first few stupid questions that a new member asks.

This is an option and is easy to add to the site, however as others have mentioned, it would be a lot of work for the mods.

But then you have to ask:

Is it up to the mods to decide which posts are dumb and which aren't? If a member asks "what is vtech?" is the mod just supposed to delete the post? How do you draw the line between a dumb post and a semi-dumb post?

Another option is to restrict newbies to a specific forum until a certain post count. Like the GD and Intro forums only.

Maybe we should put a 20 question FAQ in the welcome email that new subscribers receive and that way most of them will read it.

Or we can make an FAQ section and have links all over the place to it and call it the "Newbie FAQ'S!" and we can all refer to it every time somebody asks a question that is already answered on the list.

I don't know, just throwing some options out there. I certainly don't want to make a lot more work for the mods and the ideal solution is to make whatever we decide streamlined to the point where it doesn't cause more work for any of us, including the members.

If we can throw up some FAQ pins in each of the model forums, then it should help, so long as members direct the noobs to the thread, rather than telling them to search or flaming them. I started to create one in the Civic forum, if I get some extra time tomorrow then I'll see if I can get at least one more compiled in one of the forums. If anyone wants to save me some time in digging through the forums, then please feel free to begin one and I'll pin it up tomorrow.

Drew - you would delete the post when they ask what is vtech, but you would also send them a message with a link to the faq thread. I know this would be more work for the mods, but would clean up the forum quite a bit. Also this would help filter out trolls and stuff too. If you guys are still thinking about adding another mod to the forums, then you could make this the main responsibility of that new mod. If you added a mod and all they were mainly responsible for was filtering the noob threads, it wouldn't be so bad. On the ones that are approved it would be a matter of clicking approve, so it's not like every single new thread would have to be "dealt" with.

The other forum is 8 threads, but 4 might be better. I'd say after 4 threads, if they haven't gotten the dumb question out of the way, they never will.

on my other forum, teckademicseast, i had to be approved after about 30 constructive posts. They used to have it set at 15 posts then your verified, but too many people would post b/s then flame the forums.

oh, and before you're verified you can only post in the intro thread. works great, no flaming.

Archived