B18B1 vs B18C1?

Grizzled

B18B1 - 2000 Integra RS/LS/GS

1.8 16V DOHC PGM-FI 1834cc

142hp@6300rpm 127tq@5200rpm

B18C1 - 2000 Integra GS-R

1.8 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1797cc

170hp@7600rpm 128tq@6200rpm

I had thought they were pretty close to the same motor, but from looking at the specs and prices they obviously aren't. I'm just curious, not about to run out and buy anything, but other than the VTEC, there must be some differences. Any of you have some time to enlighten me?

Bored at work, thanks~

i think the compression on the LS is something like 9.2:1 and the GSR is 10.0:1. someone correct me if im wrong.

Compression on the LS IS lower, one of the reasons it responds well to boost on a stock block, although the rods are mush.

easier to get parts for alex , i dont know about cheaper. B1 bottom ends are bulletproof man and capable of big power without VTEC.

bore size, same

different cranks

different rods

different pistons (still same bore though)

better rod bolts on the VTEC model

better oil pump setup on the VTEC model

for the head, COMPLETELY different of each other. VTEC head is capable of higher RPM's and i believe also the rocker arms are stronger too. their setup is different as well.

and the VTEC makes a HUGE difference between the 2, besides the compression.

if you're not going to turbo it, the c1 is the better choice.

OK, it all depends on what you want to do with the motor, B18C1 great for all motor buildups, gets good power fairly strong motor and tons of potential. B18B1 Pretty good for boosting the lower compression means you can booste it a little higher than you can with a b18c on stock pistons, BUT heres the catch my friends the b18b was ment for the GS/RS/LS models which are not performance models so it wasn't build for much modification the piston rods and cranks then to not hold up so well.

B18C1&B1 parts are almost equilly as available B18b1 a bit easier to find crappy parts(cuz mostly high schoolers drive them cuz well, thier cheeper than a GSR or they just dont know any better)

Honestly I suggest getting the B18C1 it has the most potential for power out of any B series that I've seen esspecially when running all motor. I love mine :thumbsup:

Man I wrote alot here didn't I...I need a life

dude you dont know what your talkin about. a B1 engine can take just as much or more heat than a C1. a B1 is still a performance engine dude , arent all integras sports cars? just cause it doesnt have a VTEC head doesnt mean its not a performance engine. the internals are the same really minus the quality of the parts themselves. head is biggest difference of course. the rockers on a C1 ride on a post that goes from one side of the head to the other(all exhaust valves ride on one , all intakes ride on another). and this provides a fulcrum joint . basically doing the job with very little friction(check some pics youl see what i mean). the B1 head doesnt incorporate this technology. to put it simpler , the DOHC VTEC engines come factory with roller rockers(sort of). and this difference alone , along with tighter valve springs of course , is what allows the VTEC engines to have a higher redline. everything in a B1 can turn 8000 rpm as well except for the valve train. the reason we need to change the springs in order to open and close the valves further and longer(more lift and duration or bigger cams) , is cause the valves cant close fast enough to get ready to get opened again.

• 2 weeks later...
i wouldnt say VTEC is the difference , id say the heads are totally different.

well the b18c1 has two stages of vtec which is a huge thing in vtec motors. also, if you do go with the gsr motor, go with an obd1, the later models arent as impressive.

2 stages of VTEC? i dont think so dude. man you need to do some msn searches at the very least , lol , just kiddin man. VTEC has 2 stages period , primary and secondary(VTEC). thats it. except VTEC-E , like my D17A2(some will argue its not a VTEC-E engine but those are people who dont know what there talkin about). if the camshaft on a SOHC engine has 5 lobes per cyl. than it is a VTECII engine. if it has 4 , and is a VTEC engine , its a VTEC-E. a D17A2 has 4 lobes per cyl.(VTEC-E) , outside 2 lobes are exhaust(1 for each valve), than 2 in the middle that are different profiles. one small one big. with VTEC not engaged , one intake valve rides on the VTEC lobe , which it does all the time , in VTEC-E engines one intake valve rides on the VTEC lobe all the time , the other valves rocker rides on the smaller profile lobe. when VTEC engages , the smaller profile rocker locks onto the rocker that always rides on the VTEC lobe. in VTECII engines , outside lobes are both exhaust , next 2 lobes inside of exhaust are intake lobes(one for each valve seperately) , and one big lobe in the middle .when VTEC engages , the 2 intake rockers lock on to a center rocker which rides them both on the VTEC lobe.

Archived