Lowering Your Ride

darksaint

I have AR Bobet 15s on Firehawks right now, and want to increase the wheel profile and lower the ride height. 17" inches is 2" greater than 15", So wouldn't I have to lower the car at least 2 inches total? Let's say I buy a set of Eibach Coilovers and a set of 17 Konig Tantrums with 205/45/R17 nitto tires. If I want to set the car at .5" below stock, then I set the COs at -1.5"??

Doesn't seem like enough. :crazy:

With my current setup: stock springs, AR Bobet 15"s shod in Firehawk 195/60/R15s(from a different car, they looked cool believe me.) The tire has nearly a 5 inch profile on 15" rims. so we Add 'em up and get a total wheel height of 20".

With the new setup, the tire has just a 4" profile, but the wheel is 17" in diameter. So we add'em up and we get a whopping 22" total wheel height.

The stock rims on the Civic are 15s, and the wheel profile is the same as my current setup, so I'm at stock height now.

So actually, if I wanted to get the -.5" ride I'd have to lower the springs by nearly 2.5 inches. Right?

BTW, I'm rounding all the numbers up to avoid stuff like 8.07087".

I always thought "coilover" just meant a shock inside a spring. That's it.

Anyhow, eibachs with KYB AGX is a good spring/shock combo. I'd prolly go with this setup if I was on a tight budget.

what? the shock body within the space inside of a spring. that's all a coilover is right? If it were a "strut" wouldn't they be called "coilover strut systems?" shock, strut...same thing basically they dampen, the only difference is how they are used.

The difference is how they are built. Struts have a spring, shocks have fluid or gas instead.

are you serious? (i have a feeling this is going to go nowhere...)

i was taught that there was no real difference in a shock or a strut, just in how they are used. shocks are used to dampen the spring only, while struts are used to dampen as well as being a part of the suspension system. which is why you can still drive a car if you lose your shocks and most likely lose all driveability when losing a strut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shocks and struts do the same thing just have different ways of being steup...however though seperate form the shock/strut, they are inside of a spring

there are two types of coilovers, cheap and expensive....there are good cheap ones but the difference is if it is around $300 (like ground control)it is a spring that is adjustable because it sits on a threaded sleeve. expensive coilovers cost about $1000 (like teins) and is a shock/strut that is threaded and the spring sits on that...the expensive ones are a spring and shock/strut

oh yea and both me and my friend have integras...not sure if its a new york problem but it is very likely the bolt holding ur strut pack in will seize up. if u do it urself u will most likely have to cut it out.....meaning new control arms...depending on the shop u take it to i dunno if they could get it out or if they will just come and say "now u need new rear control arms" but good luck

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and ordered some Tein S-Tech Springs, however, I am worried about the fact that my front drop is going to be massive (2.6 inches said on the website). Am I going to need a camber kit for that?

Sure, in fact, I will be using a How-To guide to assist me (even though the only guides I have found thus far were focused on 96-00 EX Civics and 99+ Si's, but they can't be that much different). I will take some pictures while I am at it.

I recommend the How-To on http://www.jdmfan.com/ (it specifies Eibachs, but a spring is a spring when it comes to installing)

Archived