Lowering Your Ride

darksaint

As one of my few modifications to the car I plan, how would I go about lowering my car about 1.5 inches, since my other upgrade will be 17 inch racing whites which will make the car look lower anyway? Any brands of equipment recommended, or techniques? Thanks.

if you put 17 inch wheels on your car it will seem about 1.5 inches higher. when you lower it you will be at the same height, it will just look lower because you put the bigger wheels on it. this is assuming that your car has 14 inch wheel stock. if you have 15 inch wheels stock then your car will seem 1 inch higher, then you'll lower it 1.5 inches and it will only be .5 inches below stock ride height. etc etc etc.

teins....get teins. i'd take it somewhere to put on the springs, but thats just me. i don't have the resources to do that kind of thing.

Yeah, I plan on getting them put on professionally. I've heard Tiens are good, what would I be looking for? Are they specifically called Lowering Springs or are they Coilovers? I have my eyes on some Skunk2's if they are what I am looking for.

Just took a quick gander at street prices for Skunk2 and Tein coilovers:

Skunk2's = $300 approx.

Tein's = $1,000+ approx.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If I wanted to spend that much money I'd have bought a Toyota Supra instead of an Integra :)

300 bucks for a full set of skunk2's? still, its like dev said. you get what you pay for. if you don't mind laying down at night and having a hell of a back ache then go ahead and get the skunk's.

It's not hard to replace the springs on a Civic, just do it at home.

he doesn't have a civic, he's got a teggy :p but i agree. if you have the tools, knowledge, etc etc etc. then you could try to do it at home. problem is that if you don't set the spring right then its gonna phuck up. plus when you lower your car you have to get it re-alligned, and all that good stuff anyway. so go ahead and take it to a pro and they can do it all in one stop, on one bill.

and is it tein's or tiens? tein's right? you guys are spellin it two different ways. i think me and dev are right, cause we're tight. and in flight, aight. :laugh:

Still, if you have the tools, you can do it at home. My friend and I changed the front struts (with new springs) on our friends Civic for him, it only took us about two hours.

ok heres the deal.. tein are coilovers that come with springs and shocks that are both made to be COMPATABLE with each other- thats why they're so expensive. coilovers are just springs and these ghetto ass shocks that aren't too smooth when you ride. there are cheap coilovers that are more smoother than others such as ground control and skunk2's. skunks are crapty.. ive been in a car with skunk coils and they're really stiff and noisy. we were on the highway and as he was changing lanes, he ran over those light reflectors that are used to divide lanes and my body vibrated on each of those reflectors he ran over!! the noise as you drive is terrible. suspension is really important on a car so dont fawk it up. ground control is a lot smoother than skunks but teins drive like stock...sometimes better depending on your car. tein also has this special function where you can adjust your height from inside your car with a push of a button (kinda like air cylinders or hydros). teins do sell springs though.. they're around 2 bills.. they're called S TECH.

and it's pronounced "Tain's".

If you want to do it right and you don't mind waiting a little longer to save up some extra cash, I would seriously look into Tein's. They are a Japanese company that is just opening up a US store front. 70% of all suspension that is sold in Japan are made by Tein's. (so I read) All the racing teams in Japan use them as well. They are pretty much the cream of the crop, when it comes to Honda/Acura suspension. You have to remember that Tein's are a True Coilover.

If you choose not to spend that much then I would ask a lot of people what they use on their Integra's and how the feel is and if they are really happy with what they have. If you are going to do a drop, I would recommend doing it all at once and not just the springs or shocks individually. Remember, labor costs and while your in there, may as well replace it all at once...

eibach springs are one of the top springs out there. i say this b/c i had eibachs on my previous car. it rode just like stock!! its cheap and affordable as well. its somewhere around 200 bucks for a set of springs. just make sure you get an alignment or a camber kit.

If one was to suggest a decent cost for lowering my car safely and economically, would you say Skunk2 coilovers for $270 and Tanabe Sustec GF210 Springs for $160 are a good buy? Or would you suggest something different? (Nothing above $700 total please :) )

if you buy coilovers, you dont buy springs...coilovers come with springs. coilovers just give you the option of raising and lowering your car manually (thats why they cost a bit more than just purchasing springs). as for springs, you just install them and they stay at 1 height forever.

Archived