How does VTEC Work?

i-vtec (i stands for intelligent):

Valve lift and duration are still limited to distinct low and high rpm profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees (depending upon engine configuration) during operation. Phase changes are implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Phasing is determined by a combination of engine load and rpm, ranging from fully retarded at idle to maximum advance at full throttle and low rpm. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPM. -from reference

• 1 month later...

I dunno if any of you guys (and girls) are Road & Track readers but there's a great article on valve timing adjustments in all it's various forms in August's issue. Really interesting stuff. I highly recommend you try to find a copy to read that article. Plus there's a nifty little bit about some secret Honda Collection in Cali that I wanna see really bad but isn't open to the public.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VTEC = variable valve timing with lift electric control (dont know if it was stated earlier in the thread, im a little toolazy to look today)

oh and i used to have a HUGE book on honda when i was younger (i started studying honda when i was about 10) and i still have it, its back home, it has EVERYTHING about honda engines... i learned alot from that book, i need to get a mitsubishi book now :sleep2:

VTEC = variable valve timing with lift electric control (dont know if it was stated earlier in the thread, im a little toolazy to look today)

oh and i used to have a HUGE book on honda when i was younger (i started studying honda when i was about 10) and i still have it, its back home, it has EVERYTHING about honda engines... i learned alot from that book, i need to get a mitsubishi book now :sleep2:

Yep...it was stated in the 1st and 2nd posts in this thread....hopefully this bump will realize that adding an "H" at the end stands for "for Homosexuals"

VTECH = Variable Valve Timeing with Left Electronic Control for Homosexuals"

See crank.

See crank walk.

/end posting.

• 1 year later...