Fuel gauge erratic?

Lambo

sorry if this has been posted before, i have an 04 civic and when my fuel level is at about 1/4 of a tank it will intermittenly drop to E, then 10 or 15 minutes later go back up to 1/4.

i took it to the dealer and they said the only way to fix the problem is to replace the entire gauge cluster, BUT he said that my mileage will reset to 0 thus lowering my resale value.

anyone heard about this?

i took it to the dealer and they said the only way to fix the problem is to replace the entire gauge cluster, BUT he said that my mileage will reset to 0 thus lowering my resale value.

it would reset because the mileage thingy is digital right? i dought it would reset lowering your reset value. if anything they can re-reprogram your mileage. another thing, if its still under warrenty tell them to fix the gas problem gauge .

• 1 month later...

I have a 99 Honda civic that had "fuel gauge" problems, wouldn't read over 1/3 of a tank and would go way below the E and the "low fuel" light didn't work.

Found poor connection at fuel tank, I had to remove the bottom of the rear seat, removed access cover (two screws) and then unplugged the two connectors located on top of the gas tank, found one of them with dark brown contamination in the protective grease (silicon,?). (One connector is for low fuel thermistor and the other is the actual fuel level.)

Cleaned the connectors and reconnected them. Fuel gauge immediately went to "full" (correct reading) and then after burning that tank full of gas the "low fuel" lamp came on.....Very happy camper.

Not sure about the "dealer" comment but thought this might be worth checking out, would imagine Honda uses the same basic connectors and configurations on many models and for several years running.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Archived