97 civic ex

Na. You have opinion about the B swap and we have an opinion toward the D swap. It's just a difference in opinon. I'd say based on our arguing he has enough information about each to make his own decision. Didn't mean to gang up on you cranny, just gets out of hand sometimes.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i appreciate your concern cranny. i'm pretty sure i'm staying with the d. mostly due to the fact that its already in the car. ive been told locally it would be around $4000 to swap in a b18. i just feel like its more cost effective to fix up what i have. i do have somewhat limited funds at the moment and need to get the best bang out of my buck. i know im not going to have the fastest car around, but the scene around here is mostly rice and 250-300 whp would be enough to shut most of them up. especially looking almost completely stock. sleepers rule.

you hadnt said limited funds before thats all , if your stayin D than soles is your man for sheez. He runs a kickass D setup from what i read. possibly fastest car on HF , hehe.

well, im saving away. i still want to get my suspension done first. however, it looks like ill be doing that myself and can keep it around $700-800. if i can do the engine build and the turbo for around $5-6K it shouldn't be that long at all. do i have any options with other turbo set ups to keep my AC and power steering? i want a fast car, but i sure would miss those two things. also, what options would i be looking at as far as trans/clutch? thanks again for being so cool and answering all my questions. much appreciated as always.

that would be great if i could keep my ac. right now i have a 30 mile drive to work and that could seriously suck in the summer. can i still get the same output w/ that turbo? i obviously wouldnt be running the ac when racing/track etc. as far as controlling how much boost to give the turbo, is it as easy as turning a knob? how exactly do you adjust this? thanks, sorry again for being such a noob.

Drive with the windows down.

I live in Tennessee. Pretty hot summers and I have A/C, but I never use it. Feels better and is more enjoyable to roll windows down. Power will be a little less, but not much.

You use a boost controller. You can't just turn the boost up, you have to have it tuned for certain levels of preset boost.

10psi will be enough for the street, with a preset at 12psi for overtake, and 18psi for the track.

i just get stuck in expressway traffic and having the windows down isnt such a pleasant experience. especially in khaki pants and dress shirts. also my power windows are kinda messed up. if i roll my drivers side window down too far it slips out of track. ive had to take my door panel off 3 or 4 times to fix it.

i finally took some pics of my car. not much... yet. enjoy

side view

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/STA70282.jpg

rear view

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/6bd07f1e.jpg

3/4 view

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/STA70284.jpg

my lil d

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/STA70285.jpg

do you think i should leave that hose attached to the intake? i've been given different opinions.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/STA70286.jpg

my blingin new "rims"

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/sha...r0/STA70287.jpg

thanks, sorry about the links, had trouble getting the Insert Image to work. ill fix this post if someone tells me how.

do you think i should leave that hose attached to the intake? i've been given different opinions.
its up to you, do you feel a difference in power or sound? id take that off, thats just me. but since your homemade custom. thats pretty cool, never thought of doing that..

the hose on the intake does seem to give me a little bit more acceleration, not positive but i think it improves my gas mileage. ill do some tests on this to find out. my car is so loud its kinda hard to hear any difference. gonna have to do something about that soon.

well next up im installing some ngk wires/plugs because i had a couple cylinder misfires come up. im ordering those next week. hopefully 2 weeks after that im installing the mp3 player and 6X9's. prob about a month after that im upgrading suspension. i still need some advice on what to do with the suspension. i want a 2" drop, not horribly bumpy, and most importantly improved handling. trying to keep under $600 if possible. should i just get new springs? kinda in the dark still on this one.

and the grand finally, as mentioned in my posts above, i hope to have this little d built and boosted before summer. thanks for the compliments.

i dont know what your car got on it for exhaust but if its really really loud like your sayin and you dont like that , than take it to an exhaust shop and get them to put a resonator on it makes them sound so much better in my opinion without hurting performance.

ill definately be getting better tires soon as well. i thought the suspension and sway bars would do more than tires? plz let me know. ill check into that cranny, i hadnt because i thought someone told me a resonator would hurt HP. please correct me if im wrong. its a magnaflow catback.

hey guys, me again. still trying to figure out what exactly to do with my car. BBS has been a lot of help lately, tx BBS. however im still having a little trouble deciding between a turbo build of my d16 and a b18 swap. i know the d16 turbo will yield more results for now but the potential for the b18 is what im looking at. so here are my options for this summer: either build up and turbo the D, or swap and build the B18 and put the turbo on next year. pretty sure the work will be done at a very reputable shop close to here that BBS recommended. what would you do? thanks to those that have helped already and to those that will help again. hehe

Archived