97 civic ex

a couple more questions i thought of:

1. will i be able to keep my a/c and power steering?

2. will new shocks/springs work w/ stock wheels? (wanting to keep that sleeper appearance for now)

3. do strut/sway bars make noticable handling difference?

4. anyone know where i can get the list of parts needed to upgrade and prepare my engine for turbo?

5. how badly does turbo affect gas mileage?

6. anyone think i should just say "f it" abd get a b18c?

i appreciate any input as always.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. You can keep your A/C and Power steering with the right turbo manifold.

2. Of course shocks and springs will work with your stock wheels.

3. Yes, they do. You will get a lot less body roll with them.

4. There are absolutely too many sites to look at for them. For all of my parts, I got them from different places. I'll post some links for specifics, but not for each individual part.

5. You will get probably around 20-29 mpg depending on how hard you drive.

6. Fawk no. The turbo'd D will rape the B18C.

a turbos D will rape a turbod B? cmon now wtf are you guys talkin about , lol. full race this and full race that , ebay ruins the industry jesus. ever hear of practical SSR? not only do normal people not have 10grand to drop into a 5,000$ honda but all this crap is so unecessary for a fun DD that still kicks ass and you know it SSR. you say ebay ruins the industry? all it is is people sellin crap for as cheap as they can and yes you get what you pay for but most people in the industry you will agree , WAYYYYYYYYY overcharge to get into higher performance brand name parts. unless your takin this car to the track whats the point.

answer his question truthfully so people know. you need not half this performance crap they speak of for one thing , yes , turbo will absolutely destroy your fuel mileage(depending on how hard you drive).

No a turbo'd d will rape a B18C with bolt ons. Considering they would cost about the same (d might still be less) that's what you would compare. Also, a built and turbo'd d would rape a stock motor'd turbo'd B18C1, and the d would still cost less. Of course when going to extremes, the D series will top out at a lesser hp than the B, but I doubt he's looking for 600whp.

i do really like the idea of using what i have. could i stay n/a and get 250hp w/ my d? if so thats about what im looking at to start out. that'll still stomp the crap out a lot of cars w/ how light my car is. as far as the n/a idea goes, where would i start? not that i can afford this but eric aguilar hits under 9s in his n/a civic hatch. makes me think some potential there, and i could always add the turbo later. thanks again

good point. the n/a was just a thought, but from reading other forums on this site i see that it makes more sense to turbo a d. i wanted it eventually anyways i just dont have the $10k to do it right now. i was just looking for some upgrades in the meantime that would work with the turbo later.

Overpriced? I barely make a profit off of parts I sell, and I sell for just under the MSRP.

Can't use AC or PS with a F-R kit.

25mpg or so when not boosting

use whatever shocks/springs you want with stock wheels

bars will make it handle different, you as a driver will make it handle better

I don't give out parts list without a deposit.

A mildly built (see stock block, cams and bolt ons) B18C1 would be more than enough for you. All motor...

i didnt mean you are overpriced the companys that make the parts are. wasnt a dig at you ssr. i know you know your crap. i just hate when people steer others wrong sayin a d will rape a b. B16 says a D16 will rape a B18C with boltons. ok true but what happens when both engines are runnin boost? thats my point thats all. in no way is a d series setup better than b except pricewise.

Your last comment is the exact point I was making. With unlimited funds a boosted B would obviously be better. But for the same money as a B18 swap with bolt ons, he could have a built turbo'd d putting down some serious power. So for the same money, 300+whp built turbo'd D or a B w/ bolt on's getting about 140-170whp.

man B series comes stock with 140-170. to get 300whp out of a B18C1 is as simple as boost. stock internals can run 300 although maybe not forever , lol. but neither will soles d. its cheaper and easier to simply swap in a B18C and boost it than to swap in a d , make able to handle enough boost to compete with b series , plus boost itself , see what im sayin.

He never really said anything about limited finances just that he was almost ready. just wanna make sure everyone gets thier questions answered correctly with all the facts , thats why were here. i know you got a kickass d soles , but if you put the same amount of money into a B instead , you could have gotten same results although less was done. see what im gettin at? like i said before 90% of people dont know as much as us nor wants too many complications. so in a way gettin more power from less mods is a good thing cause its just too complicated and time consuming for the average person is all.

How can a B18C1 be easier to swap in considering he already has a D worth building in the car? B series come with around 140whp stock so adding bolt on's wouldn't get you much more than 150-155whp. I could understand the argument if he had to swap either one, but he doesn't he already has a D16 in the car, so why spend all that money to swap when that money could go toward an already good potential motor that's in the car?

your missin the question he asked B16 this is what im talkin about. hes talkin about takin it to the track dude follow me , wants to know what gets better results , you with me? and i dont know what b series engine your talkin about comes with 140 except non vtec. the least amount of power comes with a B series is 160 dude(stock). hes talkin about suspension upgrades so hes got some money to spend. GIVE HIM THE FACTS. im not sayin his platform with work couldnt kick some ass , but a b series swap is the way to go to get the most .

Dude, stop while you are somewhat ahead. No B series will have 160whp stock other than type R. B16 swap will put you in the 135-142 whp range. Cranny, stay with me on this one. B16 swap is a waste of money. With 3000 dollars he could turbo the D and murder that B, and be more than happy, and still have plenty of room to upgrade. Understand that ?

I was wrong on the whp i thought we were talkin engine power my bad(brain fart). but for the record just for example your talkin a B18C1 which is rated for 170 will have 145? i dont think its that drastic , in fact i bet if you researched it youd find you hardly lose 10(manual tranny).

No, it's that drastic. I've seen plenty of dyno sheets of stock GSR's.....even more of stock B16's pulling around 138whp. 22whp is about average on both. It would be kickass if we only lost 10hp through drivetrain loss, but we're not that lucky.

And 22whp is not that much IMO. Look at the evo's and STI's, they lose closer to 50hp through drivetrain.

whatever guys , lol , i forgot it was bash cranny day. you guys win. once again im just lookin to answer the guys question . Anyways shaolinzer just wanted to let you know about the different platforms and the benefit of each as well as downfalls. just tryin to inform you dude. these guys from what i see always turn it into a spelling bee or arguing about sillyness.

Archived