1996 Civic LX with a cracked manifold

silver civic oh

I have a 1996 Civic LX. It has what has been explained to me to be a common problem with the factory exhaust after a number of years. I have a crack in the manifold. The manifold has two o2 sensors. It also has the catalytic converter incorporated. I have been recommended to get a header in order to not spend $500 plus in repairs. Almost all of the headers I have seen only offer one o2 hole and for those that offer two there is one in the number 4 cylinder tube instead of where all 4 are together. The first o2 sensor is to balance the air/fuel ratio. The second is just to make sure the catalytic converter is not bad. Skipping this one will throw a code in the system. Is there a way to get an after market header, properly use both o2 sensors and not throw a code? How?

Get a full EX exhaust. Use the EX header, catalytic converter & B-pipe. You're current muffler can be reused. Or buy any header with an OBDII to OBDI conversion harness & ECU (which eliminates the secondary O2 sensor) & a 92-95 Civic catalytic converter & have a short pipe made to compensate for the shorter B-pipe so everything lines up.

even easier , i dont know what kinda tools you have available to you but. drill a hole in your exhaust and tap it. bango new hole for second O2 sensor. very simple fix.

ok cranny back to the point. I have found two bong headers. The problem lies with having no cat. The Second o2 sensor looks to make sure the cat did its job of eliminating certain chemicals in the exhaust. The second o2 sensor is BEHIND the cat to observe this. If it were that easy i wouldn't have posted the question. Now where do you think i can get one of those chips?

ok cranny back to the point. I have found two bong headers. The problem lies with having no cat. The Second o2 sensor looks to make sure the cat did its job of eliminating certain chemicals in the exhaust. The second o2 sensor is BEHIND the cat to observe this. If it were that easy i wouldn't have posted the question. Now where do you think i can get one of those chips?

Google it. LOL You can find anything if you just search for it. Just look for the O2 or oxygen simulators

well its like this , an aftermarket ex exhaust is most likely cat back. My 2001 civic Si has a factory cat back exhaust. both my O2 sensors are still up front so i think if you tap a whole and mount it youl be fine.

Archived