Engine Swap

97CivicEXd16y8

Hey everyone, I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX with the d16y8 motor with 126xxx miles on it and was looking to swap out that motor (eventually, once i hit around 220,xxx miles or so or till it dies) the options that i was looking at include the B18c or the H22a4. I know they both make 200 hp stock but was also curious if i would have to change transmissions entirely, however i guess by the time i hit 200,000 miles my clutch will be gone anyways and i'll need to replace it. Please drop some advice. Also, would it be better to possible rebuild my 126xxx mile d16y8 because i hear that its a good base engine that can hit near 300-350 whp. I would also turbo any engine that id swap/rebuild. Other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the advice.

-Tim-

u will need to change transmissions for both of those....that tranny will only work with a d series motor..wont work with b or h series...also for the b series, you will need an ecu, rear tranny mount, shift linkage, axles and some other odds and ends.., for the h22a4 you will need all new mounts, ecu, axles, shift linkage, diff front springs as this engine is easier and some other odds and ends...also look into b16s as they are a decent deal...also next time post this under the engine swap forums...

this site might also be helpful

http://hasport.com/Tech/Hasport%20Swaps.htm

i dont think a b18 will swap into a 97 very easily

look into the b16b series and

also k series as they are becoming more poular...(they are expensive though)

I agree that the B16A would be the best thing to swap, but personally, I think your best bet for good power is to rebuild and boost.(Personal Prefferance) I've seen some VERY nice SOHC turbos in Minn. If you do boost, do yourself a favor, and don't cut corners to save a penny or two when rebuilding. It doesn't pay off!!

forget about k series youl have an anurism tryin to get it in that car. B series and an obd conversion(depending on year engine) is simply the way to go for you. and for the record a B18C will swap into that car as easily as a B16A .

If you save up until you hit 220,000, you'll have enough for a K series swap.

Where are you located? I'll build you a Y8 with a Full-Race kit, you'll make 350whp no problem.

Archived