VTI trouble, Please help......

Am15h

Hi people,.

Ive got a problem with my Honda coupe VTi '99, i get a power slump in low revs, even at gear changes,

No one seems to know whats wrong with it, but at higher revs the cars fine (I cant hit 140mph easly).

ive changes the Leads, filter, plugs

let me know if any of you have had the same problems or know whats wrong,

Thanks

Yeah thanks, i changed the Fuel Filter today as it happens, runs better, but i still get a little lag while changing gears, i heard the VTIs retune its self, its just a bit gutless really,

lol, running out of parts to change

You'll need a timing light to check. Valve lash is the gap between the rocker arm & the valve. If it's too large the valve doesn't open as quickly or as far as it should.

its got variable valve timing and i think i had the the timing checked at honda and they said it was perfect,

variable valve timing i.e. VTEC only comes into effect around or after 5600 rpm, I was referring to timing at idle, if it was within spec then that's ruled out. Try valve lash next, that would be adjusted at the same time. Unless the clearance is way out of spec it wouldn't cause a huge hesitation. Did you check the cap & rotor when changing plugs/wires.... if this is your first Honda, they aren't known for their low RPM power, or lack there of.

variable valve timing i.e. VTEC only comes into effect around or after 5600 rpm, I was referring to timing at idle, if it was within spec then that's ruled out. Try valve lash next, that would be adjusted at the same time. Unless the clearance is way out of spec it wouldn't cause a huge hesitation. Did you check the cap & rotor when changing plugs/wires.... if this is your first Honda, they aren't known for their low RPM power, or lack there of.

yeah i had the clearence done by honda, and i cleared out the cap and it did run better. You think it could be the ECU?

Doubtful, you'd have other problems also if the ECU was going bad, how many miles are on it? Maybe try pulling some of the slack out of the throttle cable & see what it does.

its done about 76k miles, the only way i can describe the problem is that it feels like the cars been draged back after a gear change, ill try the throttle cable n see what happens i suppose

Archived