Top-end b4 Turbo??

Exclusive Honda Girl

After alot of consideration-I've decided to go for the Greddy t-4 kit...my question is--is it a must that I start out with the top end--port & polish, pistons, valves etc... b4 I even think about bolting on the turbo?? I am going to Greddy intercool it-- replace the clutch-probably clutch masters--underdrive pullys and if all goes well - a Tanabe racing medallion cat-back exhaust!

I think this is my best option for turning my '01 1.7 EX sedan aka kid taxi- into a fun daily driver!

Any feedack would be greatly appreciated-- wan't to get started soon ;)

if its a stage 1 kit, you SHOULD be ok with the top end if you don't beat it to death.

but like soles said, the bottom end should come first. good pistons, rings, and wrist pins

and underdrive pulles - no. i've heard much more bad things about underdriving than good things.

your best bet would be the stage 1 greddy or edelbrock kit, as they are, at least, supposed to be for stock engines, build up the block a tad, and maybe the head, and you should be set 8)

if its a stage 1 kit, you SHOULD be ok with the top end if you don't beat it to death.

but like soles said, the bottom end should come first. good pistons, rings, and wrist pins

and underdrive pulles - no. i've heard much more bad things about underdriving than good things.

your best bet would be the stage 1 greddy or edelbrock kit, as they are, at least, supposed to be for stock engines, build up the block a tad, and maybe the head, and you should be set 8)

Thanx for your input...what kind of $$ am i looking to do the pistons, rings etc..?? I was informed-I could just do the turbo...not worry about the bottom end-that's why I'm digging for more info?

Bottom-line...I wan't a ride that at the end of the day...I dotted every I and crossed every T so that I don't run into future complications!!

well, if you want everything to be completely reliable, you definately sould at least put some better pistons and rings in your block. if you want to save some green but still be pretty reliable, i'd say pistons and rings first. then possibly upgrade the head, leave the cams alone though. and if you want to piece together a kit like soles said, that would save quite a bit of cash.

there is plenty of parts you can salvage off of other cars, such as a turbo from a saab, the intercooler from a mitsubishi (side mount) and other things here and there. one thing though, dont get a cheap ass turbo header, get one that has a decent reputation. i dont know jack about brands of turbo manifolds, but i do know the cheap ones simply put are garbage.

i have the exact same car and you dont need to do nothin to the bottom end to run 8lbs of boost. you can run 8 lbs of boost no prolem with a stock top and bottom end. you wanna do somin to your car get a cam.

i have the exact same car and you dont need to do nothin to the bottom end to run 8lbs of boost. you can run 8 lbs of boost no prolem with a stock top and bottom end. you wanna do somin to your car get a cam.

Kudos to digging the sedans-- Thanx for the advice...can't wait to make the civ into a beast!!

What r u running on your's??

Keep in touch...peace

i havent really dont nothin to my car yet as far as major changes . im not gonna do anythin exspensive to this engine cause as soon as i get my hands on a K20A(220 horse jdm or type r rsx) or K20A2(type s) im swappin this bitch ,lol. ive already read alot about it. not a simple swap but not the hardest either. given the fact our year cars 01 and up have no distributor our options are limited unless you wanna rewire the entire friggen car and well , screw that.hehe

i havent really dont nothin to my car yet as far as major changes . im not gonna do anythin exspensive to this engine cause as soon as i get my hands on a K20A(220 horse jdm or type r rsx) or K20A2(type s) im swappin this bitch ,lol. ive already read alot about it. not a simple swap but not the hardest either. given the fact our year cars 01 and up have no distributor our options are limited unless you wanna rewire the entire friggen car and well , screw that.hehe

not the hardest? k20 swaps arent a walk in the park. and cost mad loot.

life is full of small sacrifices son , some large , lol. but a K20A with 8lbs of boost on stock internals is good for 320 horse. that sounds like a sacrifice worth makin to me.

K20 + boost = engine will be toast real fast.

K20 swaps are easy in 01+ Civics.

COP > dist.

though i believe you, b16 made a thread not too long ago with boosted k20's that have been running for a while.

I know of a lot of K20's that are boosted on stock internals running 15+ psi with Hondata K pro. They have had no problems. They have running for quite a while too.

Actually, my buddy ahs a built K20 with boost and flies. I see no problems yet.

yeah like wtf are you talkin about ssr? your so on the ball usually. hehe. i dont know about 15lbs but i know 8 aint hurtin it a bit.K20 best honda engine on the market right now if you ask me.K20A anyways.

I know about that though. My friend works at the Acura dealer and many people do come in with a blown engine due to a mis shift into fourth. They put it in second. Engine automatically blew up. Not covered under warranty either. Too f*cking bad.

Good call ..SSR.., other than that though .. any major problems ?

Give me a break. My engine would blow if I mis-shifted in to second instead of fourth. That has nothing to do with a car being turbocharged. If he mis-shifted and just missed the shift and period, the blow off valve would relieve the pressure so that wouldn't blow the engine. I'd like to know how a car being turbocharged will cause it to blow easier with a mis-shift. And most turbocharged cars would be toast if you over-rev them. I just don't see how the RSX is different than any other turbo car based on the reasons given.

For the record, I'm not arguing that an RSX is good or bad to turbo, just that the reasons as to why seem a little whack yo.

I'd put money on the fact that my motor would blow if I shift from third to second at 80 mph. Is the RSX shifter setup that close, so that it's easy to mistake second for fourth? I couldn't possibly make that mistake. Just beyond stupid IMO.

Very easy to misshift. Thats why most of the HC racers quit using the K last season, they were all blowing engines. The K rod bolts and rods are weak and one miss shift will blow it. Might not blow right away, but you'll have a hole in your block within a couple of days.

anyways given driver error does not occur i love them there the bomb. i cant wait till i come across one soon for a half decent price. i got a question ssr since you seem to know some of what your talkin about , haha j/k, do i need the whole subframe off an rsx to do this K20 swap into an 01 civic, or will the cradle in my civic that holds the D17 work?

Archived