new car break in engine

smokeyjoe

speed means nothin its revs. with technology today a break in period from the dealer really isnt necessary there ready to go. but a good break in routine is to get on the highway in highest gear (not so easy with autos given the fact they downshift whether you like it or not), and without downshifting load engine down , floor it in high gear(5th), and let it wind up to like 4k 4 and a half , let it come back down. keep doin it over and over for first 5000miles whenever your on highway. helps seat rinds and bearings. just dont overrev it for the first oil change and youl be good.

cranny-

so the way you break in an engine you floor it in 5th gear and get it up to the 150mph mark and just get the ticket.. or jail time.. smart idea..

i break in engines like this:

start up car cold

rev at right above idle for 5 seconds go up to 500 more, and keep going till you get to 4000 rpms.

drive car for about 1000 miles next few weeks.. its not that bad just dont floor it like mr. Cranny said.

oh yeah, get some Engine treatment to open up and lubricate the "virgin" internals. i would recommend Marvel Mystery Oil. and use gooooooood oil such as AMS or Royal Purple and always, always, always use synthetic.. you will like it later on..

good luck. welcome to the forums.

thats not what i said at all ya fukin wing ding. jesus dumass noobs. you actually get an accord doin 150 mph let me know so i can call you a liar.listen to him if you want dude i dont give a crap. yeah lets rev a cold engine in neutral , way to fail noob. read the manual it will prolly tell you to do what i said. and ive never heard anythin as dum as puttin an engine treatment into a brand new engine like are you for real? id run castrol syntec if i were you , best oil on the market in my opinion.

Break it in how your going to always drive it except try to vary your engine speeds, avoid any long freeway drives at a consistent RPM for the first 801000k. Everone has a different opinion on this. My S2000 supposedly had a "break in" oil from the factory, in part because of the materials used in the sleeves. I would not reccomend using any additives or synthetic oil until after 7-10k to allow the rings to properly wear to the cylinder and create a proper seal.

I wouldn't reccomend "free revving" a fresh motor, it's pointless since you aren't putting anything under load, free revving a cold motor IMO is the worst thing to ever do seeing how you don't yet have the proper oil pressure & it will warm up faster when under load (driving), that doesn't mean start it up, put into gear and floor it, maybe let it idle on it's own for a couple minutes then depending where you live drive somewhat easy until it warms up. I've yet to see a service manual that reccomends warming the motor up through free revving.

Unless your car had 0 miles when you picked it up I doubt the person who did the PDI drove it carefully the first time, so you won't hurt anything.

i would say just drive it easy for 30 or so miles when you first start going. then after that just accelerate firmly and rev it up some but not redline. just to get the engine used to some working. thats what i would do anyways. just my 2 cents. :)

Archived