VTEC

bowenguitarskater

sorry, youve prolly heared it all before but a vtec controller tells your engine when to kick in the higher profile cam. (this is just what i read). but some people on the net say if you make it wait till higher rmp then you will have more top end rather than low end pick-up. but if vtec is just a higher cam profile then wouldnt it be better to make it come in early so you get the low end and it would still be the same profile cam at high end. btw im new to the forums and im savin for a civic vti coupe, 6th gen. one last thing do acura make a version of the civic?

Sorry to who i offended ill take my tweny lashes by the whip and be shamed

LOL I was just letting you know if you want to see what people say just do a search for VTECH (the worng way) its kinda funny but you're a noob i know people who still spell it that way on other forums who have been on for years.

Its aight everyone does it, which i think is funny if you look at my post count I haven't been on here long so i'm not going to rag on you about it I'll try to find the thread I was telling you about with a funny meaning of VTECH.

Okay, to answer your question. If you have the higher cam lobe activated all the time, there would be no point of even having vtec. A stock motor won't be able to deliver the amount of air and fuel the engine would need at lower rpms with the higher cam lobe. That's why they do the vtec. A smaller cam lobe in the lower rpms will give more horsepower down there, and the higher cam lobe will open up when the car has gotten it's higher revs because the engine can handle a lot more air/fuel at that point. Lowering the vtec point will make your engine want more air and fuel than it can get stock and will hurt your performance.

Archived