GIRL IN DISTRESS!!

ibaudrey

My fiance's '96 Integra was recently broken into and his stereo (which was a piece of crap), XM radio, harness straps, and 200+ CDs were stolen. Beside from him being pissed about this and the thief being a total dumb ass (the stereo was worthless, the volume buttons didn't work, they didn't take the major components of the XM just they interface, the CDs were WEIRD music that no normal person would listen to, and the harness straps being completely incompatible with anything but his Sparco seat and roll bar) his car is now completely devoid of music.

He just bought a new 60 gb video iPod so for Valentine's day I would like to get him a new stereo that is compatible with it. However, I have no idea what would work with his car.

Any ideas/help/experience/recommendations are throughly appreciated!

even an xm radio, to thieves thats something to steal. thieves would jack anything, thats thier motive.. lol

just get him a deck that supports ipod.. but if he leaves his ipod in his integ again, it would probaly get stolen..... again.

ever thought about an alarm system with a secondary battery? incase they're smart enough to disconnect the battary? :ph34r:

even an xm radio, to thieves thats something to steal. thieves would jack anything, thats thier motive.. lol

just get him a deck that supports ipod.. but if he leaves his ipod in his integ again, it would probaly get stolen..... again.

ever thought about an alarm system with a secondary battery? incase they're smart enough to disconnect the battary? :ph34r:

He had his alarm on when it happened and heard it go off. But it always goes off randomly so he never pays attention to it...

How do you know which decks are iPod compatible?

secondery battery? yo i got an alarm. where can i get a secondery battery. how much would it cost. i never herd of that :p

... well its more of a backup battery, my friends integra has one, usally you buy it during the install, it would probaly be located under the steering colume, alot of installers wrap it up with electrical tape so the thieves dont know about it and its hard to remove it, also has an oem look and feel. cost about 100$. :ph34r:

Thanks for the help! So head units that have a front panel aux input just use a cable that plugs into the head phone jack of the iPod?

yeah you could do that, or buy an itrip so its wireless

... well its more of a backup battery, my friends integra has one, usally you buy it during the install, it would probaly be located under the steering colume, alot of installers wrap it up with electrical tape so the thieves dont know about it and its hard to remove it, also has an oem look and feel. cost about 100$. :ph34r:

Can u give me a website too where i can find one? thanx bro

I'm totally familiar with the iTrip but I wanted something nicer that doesn't eat batteries or plug into the cigarette lighter.

I've done some research and Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine all make iPod interfaces (around $100) that will allow you to control the iPod through a compatible deck as well as charge the thing. Pretty sweet but also kinda expensive. The compatible decks aren't super cheap either ($150 and up). Or you can get one of a few front panel auxilary input models made by Sony and JVC that are cheaper and you don't have to have the interface thing. However, these won't charge the iPod and you have to use the iPod controls to change the music.

Anyone know any good places to get cheap/discounted stereo equipment????

Alpine has a new line of headunits where you can direct connect your ipod to the unit. They used to require an external box, but not anymore. The starting model is 199 at crutchfield.com (9856 is the model number). The direct connect cable is an additional $30. The sound quality is far superior to the the itrip. Which you will be spending around 30-40 for anyways. I have had both and the although i like the itrip, when you're driving you get a lot of interference with it, the sound is staticky, and the volume is low. SInce you are looking at getting a new head unit anyways, get the alpine with the cable, your man will appreciate it.

I forgot to add that this will also charge the ipod.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks!

I actually decided to get him the Kenwood KDC-MP228 with the iPod interface KCA-iP500. I got both for around $180. Hopefully he like them!

So was he stoked on the new stereo? I'd be stoked if my GF bought me a new head unit...

Archived