CRV 1999 engine dies with low idling

When I start my 1999 crv (5 sp manual with 160k) and go my way, when I change gear or at a stop light, the engine dies on me. This happens especially when the car is not used for 2-4 hours (ie early morning when I leave for work). I can see my RPM guage go all the way down to zero, jump up a bit .. and the engine dies). I re-start the engine (no problem starting) and go my way. After 10-15 mts of highway driving, I slow down and or stop and my idling problems disappear.

What seems to be the matter? How do I fix it?

• 4 weeks later...
When I start my 1999 crv (5 sp manual with 160k) and go my way, when I change gear or at a stop light, the engine dies on me. This happens especially when the car is not used for 2-4 hours (ie early morning when I leave for work). I can see my RPM guage go all the way down to zero, jump up a bit .. and the engine dies). I re-start the engine (no problem starting) and go my way. After 10-15 mts of highway driving, I slow down and or stop and my idling problems disappear.

Hey I run into this problem with hondas all the time. I almost always find that the base idle needs to be reset. Im not sure with the 99 but with the earler hondas, toyota, and accura you have to jumper two pins on the DLC which will throw your car into a self diagnostic mode allowing you to set your base idle. It will sound like your engine is hunting to find an rpm until you mess with the idle set screw to get it to even out.

Let me know if that works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, im no expert but ive heard of a similar problem before, sounds like it could be a problem with the throttle potentiometer this is just one of the sensors that determines the injector open time.

hope you can get your problem sorted out

• 1 month later...

Archived