What do you guys think about all of this?

tomegun

Tell me what you guys think about this. I have had my Accord since it was new in 1996. I have about 154,000 miles on it and everything seems solid. I'm going to retire from the military in 06 and don't want to buy a new car until it will be my retirement present. If I had to do it now I would get the LS430 just because I deserve it for having the same car for this long and 20 years in the Air Force.

My question is, would you guys put money into the Accord or buy something like a 98 or 99 Accord coupe with the money. I currently have:

Stereo - deck, sub and amps

Intake, exhaust, headers, carbon fiber interior, carbon shift knob, white guages, wheels, suspension

The car needs some love! This is what I'm thinking about doing:

Taking it to Honda and having them go over the engine to make sure it is sound.

Belts - timing and all others

New Intake - I just want another one

Exhaust - Apexi WS, I think that is the name. I want a better one but a quiet one.

Seals around the windows and roof

Paint - this is the big $ area. The car needs it bad and I think I would get the lower black part painted if I'm comfortable with the shop's ability to paint them. I think a kit is just a little too much "attention" for me.

I'm not sure what they are called but the Pillars on the outside (black) are faded and need to be replaced

Wheels - either new ones or the ones I have (17") re-conditioned

Interior - either detailed or new carpet

Short shifter - I don't remember the name brand but it is the one that is a real shifter since I already have the adapter

Seats - I've seen the leather "kits" but I would have to find out if this route would be cheesy. If it is I would look into a shop doing it.

New mirrors

Clear-bra on the front - I hate the rock chips!

Lip spoiler - only if I can find one I like

Obviously the price tag on this will be around $6,000. It is almost a case of the evil you know versus the evil you don't know.

Let's face it, I'm not young anymore but I love this car. If I was to get something else it would probably be something like a 99 Accord coupe or a Lexus ES300 in the same year range. Another car could be equally reliable but the Lexus would cost more to fix if something went wrong. Also, I don't know how I would handle an automatic. Shifting is all I know. It doesn't bother me 95% of the time.

If these choices are equal, I would stick with my car. After 9 years, we go together well with each other. I just don't want to be a fool for thinking about putting this much money into the car.

Archived