help on engine setup

I am relatively new to set up engine, though I know pretty much about the engine itself, Problem is I would like to set up my engine, but I wouldn't know how to start, and I have a limited budget and a lot of this engine set ups shoud be bought the whole set up.... need help on how to start???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it kinda didnt make sense when you just kept saying set up and didnt say what kinda engine or even what kinda car you have.

do that and then even afterwards.. i still say stick to boltons:

aem,injen,k&n,bomz Cold Air Intakes are good.

DC sport headers are good.

skunk 2 intake manifold.

fidanza lightweight flywheel (7-8lbs)

apex'i, greddy, number 1, hks dragger exhausts are good.

others you should search for.

yeah, but then of course, you have the proven performance gains with aem and injen ... reason being, they have a little bit more money for research and development, and they sound good too !!! ... spend the extra couple bucks ... when you get boost you get rid of it anyway :laugh:

intakes will add barely any horsepower. that proven hp crap is exactly that-crap (although for my STi some intakes like the K&N Typhoon show gains of up to 12WHP.. pretty sweet).

headerback exhaust is where you'll feel something if that.

if you plan to boost, dont even bother with intake and header. its just a waste since youll be ridding of your header, but you could use the intake if its cold air for ic piping like i did.

right, but i honestly felt a difference in throttle response with my aem intake ... itscai and it sounds great ... not saying it added massive power amounts .. but i probly got a good 3-6 whp from it ... yeah sti's react well with them i noticed .. and s2000s

yeah well you can definitly here it. i really didnt tell anything when i had mine (maybe b/c i had the crapty s engine so it just felt slow all the time). when i put the b16 in it i never had the stock airbox in so i cant really judge from that. just in other peoples car ive been in you here it, not feel it really.

the only reason ill probably get one for my sti is that it increases the bpv noise a lot. you gotta be careful with certain intakes with STi's because some screw with the maf's and cause to run lean. same with aftermarket blow off valves. the stock bpv recirculates, and most of the aftermarket bovs are atmospheric. the ecu still acounts for the air being blown in the atmosphere as being recirculated, therefore making the car run rich between shifts and usually hurts performance. so you need a recirc kit, or i think its worx that has a dual stage bov, which recirculates and only blows out atmospheric over like 5krpm or something. anyways, enough with STi 101.

I'm driving only a 1.5 honda city, It's good for the pockets coz with the way the gas price is almost impossible, and I am guessing that putting this bolt ons will definetly affect my gas consumption, but hey I'm only using my car during weekends now and most of the time I commute to work.....

another question, so this bolt ons I can just buy one today and maybe next month I'll buy the other, does that work that way??

i noticed a slight power gain from my AEM cai, but you could deffinatley hear the sound change. i agree with b16vtec about the headers, and i also added a full exhaust which was noticeable to power gain. nice sig btw b16vtec car looks sweeeet

Thanks. On a slightly different note. I finally got my hands on a stock cat and put it back on. (Had a straight throw high flow cat on). Previsouly my exhaust sounded horrible, imbarassing, and sad. Putting my stock cat back on helped 100%. My car sounds awesome now, by far my favorite sounding import aside from my dad's S2000. I also didn't really notice a decrease in power. So learn from my mistake, leave you cat where it's at.

Archived