Need civic advice

casual

I have a 92 honda civic lx automatic w/ 120,000 miles. I let my gf for a while and it broke down on her. Basically all the oil leaked out and it is making a grinding sound. SHe said that someone looked at it for her and told her that there was basically a hole in the engine and that she needed to replace the whole thing.

My question is :

How much would it cost for an engine+replacement?

Is it worth it (The body and interior are in good condition)?

Can anyone recommend any mechanics in jersey (near paterson) that could do the work?

my guess is if it a cracked head then its going to cost alot to fix since you hae to hae it rebuilt or buy another motor. im not from jersey so i cant tell you who to take it to ....... sorry

rebuild a cracked block? nope, try again.

an engine replacement would be worth it, I think. one thing to worry about though, is why your engine is messed up. Honda engines don't normally crack or have holes at 120,000 miles.

What are some of the reasons that the head would crack?

I wish I could put it in myself but the most I have done is a tune up. Can anyone give me some figures of what an engine would cost me. Also, if I wanted to replace it with something with a little more power, what are my options.

By the way, will only a 93 engine be able to fit in there or will any engine in that model style 92-95?

Thanks for the replies by the way guys

any engine newer than 93 is the way to go. for cheap power, go for a d16z6 SOHC vtec motor. you can problably find a low milage one for $3-400. 125 hp. Other step ups run from $3000 up to $4xxx for b-series engines from either the 6th Gen SI (b16) or the integras(b18s)

Archived