high-pitched sound in high RPMs

a_l_e_x1

Hi everyone!

I got a Civic EX 97 (4 doors sedan, auto, 95K miles) with everything stock (I know, I know... :) ). I got it 4 months ago and can't decide on what to get first (that's another story).

Anyways, when I get past 4K RPMs, I hear this really annoying high-pitched noise from, what it seems to be, the engine compartment. It sounds like metal-on-metal scratching sound. When the engine upshifts, the noise goes away till I get to 4K again, then it appears again. This usually happens when I use extreme acceleration on highway (pedal-to-the-metal, as they say). If I get to 5K RPMs slowly, the sound isn't really there.

I think that it's the fuel line, but I'm not sure how to check that (because when the car is in N gear and I press Gas, the noise isn't there).

Any suggestions?

-Alex

My tranny is making weird noises too...12x,xxx miles on it. It happens. Gonna replace it, new flywheel, clutch, axles sometime soon hopefully.

Is yours a standard or auto? Is it scratching or just a vibration? Some short throw shifters vibrate at certain RPMS if you don't secure the washers well..... more info pls.

Ok, I don't want to be one posting to other forums, but, this thread is very informative, along w/ a link to a how-to for those who have never done tranny stuff before.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthre...05&goto=newpost

SSR....what kinda prices can you get on replacement Clutch, lightweight flywheel? I don't plan to be racing anymore...juust want a little lighter flywheel, decent clutch for when i do tranny stuff. also, you recommend buying a rebuilt, or rebuild kit etc.?

What kind of noise is yours making XS?

The noises mine make are syncro whine and a weird sound from the shaft bearing when the clutch is out that sounds like a bearing kinda scraping. been going on for about 5k miles, but gradually getting worse. The tranny shifts fine still, but things are obviously wearing.

Replace the snychro and the input shaft bearing, no need to replace the trans.

Replace the ISB now. If it destroy's itself (as they will do, especially with 5k on it), your trans is toast.

Replace the snychro and the input shaft bearing, no need to replace the trans.

Replace the ISB now. If it destroy's itself (as they will do, especially with 5k on it), your trans is toast.

how hard is the syncro swap? I haven't done any internal trans work (bout the only thing i haven't had my hands on). I'll have to pull out the shop manual tomorrow

Pull trans, open up, remove shafts, remove synchro hub, replace.

ISB. Remove shafts, pull bearing with a slide hammer (rentable), press new bearing in with stock Civic shift knob and hammer.

Oh great, so many replies... I knew I could count on you, people.

I got an automatic (so there's no clutch).

There's no strut bars (although I plan to install them).

The noice is kindda whistling, only when I'm on high RPMs (above 4K) with the pedal to the floor. The sound is somehow similar to those combat planes (F16-like), when it accelerates the engines, there's this high-pitched noice. Also, it sounds like fluid going through a very tiny hole with a very huge pressure (whistling sound).

If I accelerate slowly, then the noice isn't there (well, not as much).

I also noticed that when I ride slowly (5-10 MPH), at a certain position of the accelerator pedal (about midway), this siffling sound can also be heard. If I press the pedal harder, it goes away, if I release it, it goes away too.

Any thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the ressurection, but I was just having a discussion about this with a friend of mine.

Planetary gearsets. It's a bitch to explain, so this is from howstuffworks.com:

Any planetary gearset has three main components:

* The sun gear

* The planet gears and the planet gears' carrier

* The ring gear

Each of these three components can be the input, the output or can be held stationary. Choosing which piece plays which role determines the gear ratio for the gearset. Let's take a look at a single planetary gearset.

One of the planetary gearsets from our transmission has a ring gear with 72 teeth and a sun gear with 30 teeth. We can get lots of different gear ratios out of this gearset.

A: Input - Sun (S), Output - Planet Carrier ©, Stationary - Ring ®, Calculation - 1 + R/S, Gear Ratio - 3.4:1

B: Input - Planet Carrier ©, Output - Ring ®, Stationary - Sun (S), Calculation - 1 / (1 + S/R), Gear Ratio - 0.71:1

C: Input - Sun (S), Output - Ring ®, Stationary - Planet Carrier ©, Calculation - -R/S, Gear Ratio - -2.4

Also, locking any two of the three components together will lock up the whole device at a 1:1 gear reduction. Notice that the first gear ratio listed above is a reduction -- the output speed is slower than the input speed. The second is an overdrive -- the output speed is faster than the input speed. The last is a reduction again, but the output direction is reversed. There are several other ratios that can be gotten out of this planetary gear set, but these are the ones that are relevant to our automatic transmission.

So this one set of gears can produce all of these different gear ratios without having to engage or disengage any other gears. With two of these gearsets in a row, we can get the four forward gears and one reverse gear our transmission needs.

WOW, thanks alot!! I didn't think about it this way :)

Here's the article (I think):

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm

Pretty neat stuff...

Thanks for info, Nicodemus.

BTW, I think that the whistling sound is just fuel going through something (maybe a filter) at a certain speed, which resonates at an audible high-pitched sound. Or something else...coz it only happens when the gas pedal is pressed to a certain point.

-Alex

Sorry for the ressurection, but I was just having a discussion about this with a friend of mine.

Planetary gearsets. It's a bitch to explain, so this is from howstuffworks.com:

Any planetary gearset has three main components:

* The sun gear

* The planet gears and the planet gears' carrier

* The ring gear

Each of these three components can be the input, the output or can be held stationary. Choosing which piece plays which role determines the gear ratio for the gearset. Let's take a look at a single planetary gearset.

One of the planetary gearsets from our transmission has a ring gear with 72 teeth and a sun gear with 30 teeth. We can get lots of different gear ratios out of this gearset.

A: Input - Sun (S), Output - Planet Carrier ©, Stationary - Ring ®, Calculation - 1 + R/S, Gear Ratio - 3.4:1

B: Input - Planet Carrier ©, Output - Ring ®, Stationary - Sun (S), Calculation - 1 / (1 + S/R), Gear Ratio - 0.71:1

C: Input - Sun (S), Output - Ring ®, Stationary - Planet Carrier ©, Calculation - -R/S, Gear Ratio - -2.4

Also, locking any two of the three components together will lock up the whole device at a 1:1 gear reduction. Notice that the first gear ratio listed above is a reduction -- the output speed is slower than the input speed. The second is an overdrive -- the output speed is faster than the input speed. The last is a reduction again, but the output direction is reversed. There are several other ratios that can be gotten out of this planetary gear set, but these are the ones that are relevant to our automatic transmission.

So this one set of gears can produce all of these different gear ratios without having to engage or disengage any other gears. With two of these gearsets in a row, we can get the four forward gears and one reverse gear our transmission needs.

Archived