I know this a bad idea, but...

shitonthat

Okay, I need some input from anyone who has ever seen a car painted with the cheap wal-mart spray. My Civic EX is the Forest Green color and has an unbearable amount of scratches and paint damage...not to mention knicks and dings. I definitely don't have the money for a paint job, especially since I'm saving the money I do have for the motor. I have painted with Duplicolor spray before, on interior peices for a friend and the finished product looked better than my exterior paint. I figure, if I use a dozen or so cans of spray clear coat, it'll actually end up looking better than what I have now. My deal is, I'm not looking for a show quality paint job, just an improvement. I'm not gonna jump into this just yet, so feel free to stop me if you have already witnessed a disaster with this.

Since I don't want to mess around with the color on the inside of the door, I plan on using a similar green...but without the metallic speckles. I plan on spending a lot of time sanding and prepping the parts I paint...we're talking weeks, maybe longer for the whole car. Spraying each coat lightly to minimize any drips or ripples in each layer. I'll probably use a nice compound after this. Then top it with a crap-load of clear coat...seriously about 10 to 12 large cans. I want it to shine like a stock paint job.

Like I said, if you know this is doomed, please inform me. I honestly think it'll meet my expectations. Also, if you support this and have any suggestions please comment.

it seems like youre willing to spend LOTS of time on this, making sure everything is sanded and prepped before you start painting it. im not sure how it would turn out on the exterior, but i have also seen really nice jobs on the interior with spray paint, so it probably will work. the only thing im thinking is if youre buying 10-12 big cans of just clear coat. its gonna be a couple hundred bux, plus the regular paint..ive seen commercials and a guys rx-7 who got his car painted by Maaco. its under 500 bux and if you find anything wrong within 3 years they will redo it for free. i dont know what their reputation is, but if you have one near, it wouldnt hurt to look into it. if not, good luck with the paint job. im also looking to redo my paint because my hood has about 100 little white dots from stones chipping up and other crap around the car. luckily im doing a field study at an auto body shop for a semster so that will cut all the labor bills off of it. good luck man

It's gonna cost me 120 for all the primer, sand paper, paint, clear coat, and compound. All I have to do is a buttload of work, luckily I have an electric sander.

I think I might paint my Y8's valve cover too...I just can't seem to get it off. Oh, and I've decided to go ahead and try a mystic blue pearl and white pearl two-tone job. Maybe even some reflective baby blue to go right where the colors meet. It's a long shot, but I figure since I'm already planning to paint it and am prepared for the worst, I might as well go all out.

When it's all said and done, I'll post pics for you all to have a good laugh :laugh:

i dont know how it will turn out. i saw a guy who did his own rattle can job w/ a flat black color that turned out pretty good. but i think flat black is probably more forgiving than a glossy paint. only one way to find out how it will look. go big or go home.

alright, tell me if this is over-doing it, I might even take my stock headlamps and a pair of nice black altezza taillamps apart and paint them two tone to match the paint. Thataway, the only thing interrupting the lines of the car will be the actual red and chrome bulbs...kinda a 360 modena style headlight but two tone :crazy:

I'm gonna start sanding next week...If anyone thinks I should forget about it due to their own past experiences with it, please let me know.

theres a crapty pic of them on here somewhere.. they are axis 17x7s.. just got them off a car i liked them so i bought the car and the rims for 300 dollars.. took them off that car and slapped em on here.

300 BUCKS!!! Thats awesome! Thats how much I paid for the mesh's, with tires. When the guy I bought them from said 300, I was like WOAH! (in my head). I told him I only had 250, although I had like 400 :thumbsup: . He told me it was cool. Then I sold the wheels I had for 150 (i only paid 145, for them) They still had the tires that were on them when I bought them. So I made 5 bucks on that deal. LOL. I lucked out. :laugh:

i dont know how it will turn out. i saw a guy who did his own rattle can job w/ a flat black color that turned out pretty good. but i think flat black is probably more forgiving than a glossy paint.  only one way to find out how it will look. go big or go home.

it dosent look good as oem paint, my friend tried to paint his front bumper, it came out alright, just not as clear as stock, i mean like your not gonna see a good reflection out of it.

get a spary tool, buy some oem paint, do it somewhere clean so no dust lands on it, cover up windows, wheels, lights. paint a solid base coat with about 2 layers at a time, if it looks good get another layer, if you miss a spot dont overspray cause youl might just make drips. and when your done. wait a bit then clear coat it.

came out pretty good,damn i miss that car, did it at home, not the best paint job in the world but its alot better then spray cans.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6566 :ph34r:

EDIT: wanted to put my ph34r like i always do :ph34r:

Archived