ignition timing procedure

I recently bought a 1993 Honda Accord 10th Aniversary Edition with 85K miles. I am currently going through some maintenance and want to check the ignition timing. I have the Haynes Manual that instructs me to jump the service check connection and then follow the directions on the VECI sticker under the hood. The VECI sticker gives the specs for the plugs and degrees of timing but does not say anything about pulling and plugging vacuum hoses, such as the vacuum advance or a/c. This is a common step on other engines I have worked on. So the question is: Does anyone know if I should pull off and plug off any of the vacuum hoses when setting the timing? Please help. I have checked the timing with it the way it is, intact, with NO vacuum hoses pulled and the timing is off a few degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any words of wisdom about this car would be great. Thanks, Newt :bow:

Thank You so much for the reply, I knew that there was something. The Haynes Manual mentions the service check connector but did not expain why. Now I can go and make my adjustments and know that I did my best and did it right. Thanks for the peace of mind. Thank You Newt.:thumbsup:

Archived