Swithing my D16Y8 from SOHC to DOHC?

icecreamman

for example; can I put a B16 head on my D16Y8 to make it DOHC Vtec? and what would I need to upgrade that? new sylinoid? I dont know if anything is compatible with my engine or if it can even be done.

edit: im not swithing the motor hahaha Im switching, haaha

in theory it's possible. but feasible no! look at it this way when it comes to automobiles. anything can be made to fit in anything(with the right amount of money.) basically what i'm saying is, you would have to find a machine shop that knew what they were doing and then you would have to take the engine out, have them make some sort of adapter plate which would be rediculous and would raise your compression like wow then after all the machine work and hassle of putting it back in, you could have bought a jdm b16 complete for less money and had less problems.!

in theory it's possible. but feasible no! look at it this way when it comes to automobiles. anything can be made to fit in anything(with the right amount of money.) basically what i'm saying is, you would have to find a machine shop that knew what they were doing and then you would have to take the engine out, have them make some sort of adapter plate which would be rediculous and would raise your compression like wow then after all the machine work and hassle of putting it back in, you could have bought a jdm b16 complete for less money and had less problems.!

don't listen to this guy. he clearly has no idea about what he's talking about. one way to tell is the fact that he thinks an adapter plate will raise compression.

an adapter plate would raise the head and increase the volume of the combustion chamber. this, in turn, lowers compression.

actually the d16a8 and d16a9's are DOHC and its a d series so it will fit...so if you want a dohc without a bunch of trouble of a whole engine swap just get on ebay and look for a head its off the 88-91 civic/crx Si (JDM)

d16y8 is sohc

there wasn't an si model on the 4th gen civic/crx in japan. it was the zc model. it didn't have a d16a8 or 9, but a zc motor. the usdm equivalent to a zc motor is the integra d16a8/9 motor.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived