First Speeding Ticket

RuffNight2005

Okay so yesterday I got a speeding ticket. 65 in a 35mph zone... 300 dollar fine...This sucks... anyway, I got pulled over and the cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going and this is where i made my mistake. I told him 60-65. And when he asked me if there was a particular reason, I told him I had a family member suffering from chemical inbalence, which casuses severe depression. It was 7:07 when I got pulled over and I was speeding to get to his house to say goodbye before he left at 7:30 to arrive at the special treatment hospital at 8:00P.M. And when I don't say goodbye to him before he leaves, he gets more depressed and he misses me because I'm his bestfriend and when he goes away to the hospital, I usually dont see him for a while since im always working.

Anyway... This is my first speeding ticket. I got a ticket for loud music once.

Im just wondering.... If I should fight this... I want too but I dont know if its worth it...i dont know if I have a chance at winning since i kind of admitted to speeding.

But I think i can use my job for my advantage. I travel to work usually 100 miles a day, there and back, sometimes even more... And I never got a speeding ticket. I never speed...This was my first one just so I could've said goodbye to my cousin before he left.

Also.. When I speak to a cop... I get real nervous...maybe I can use that to my advantage? Maybe I just told the cop I was going 60-65 just so he wouldn't disagree with me and give me a bigger fine (yes im acting stupid on purpose)

I dont want my ticket to be less... I want for it to not be on my record... Maybe I should offer to take driving lessons, but how successful is that?

Guys I need all the pointers I can get... PLEASE

Im only 17 by the way.

Thans,

Adam

EDIT: I noticed on my ticket the cop didnt mark how he caught me going 65mph... ''Posted, Not Posted, Lidar, Clocked, Radar, Estimated" are all unchecked. At least one of those are suppose to be checked... So doesn't that just make me winner by default? Or can I use this to my advantage? Ex. Cop says he forget to check one of the following.. I can say.. Did you forget to calibrate your radar? Or something like that... Would that help maybe?

Also... I was speeding on main st... But i got pulled over on a ramp going onto 146. And when the cop was done... he just reveresed out of the ramp even though it was a one way... Maybe if he went outt further he would be out of jeristiction and I can use that to my advantage? Or maybe I can basically use that he went the wrong way on a 1 way ramp to my advantage?

PLZ HELP!!!

send in the check for the amount the ticket costs + 10 dollars and they will send you a refund check for the 10 dollars and if you dont cash the 10 dollar check then they cant put the ticket on file because they cannot take the money from you until they know you have gotten that refund check.

just throw the check away and keep throwing it away and never have it on your record.. no biggy.

send in the check for the amount the ticket costs + 10 dollars and they will send you a refund check for the 10 dollars and if you dont cash the 10 dollar check then they cant put the ticket on file because they cannot take the money from you until they know you have gotten that refund check.

just throw the check away and keep throwing it away and never have it on your record.. no biggy.

is that really true?

Also to your question, i ALWAYS fight tickets. even if i know i was in the wrong, just go down, and spend some time talking the district attorney. if you dont mind paying the money then offer to do some community service if tehy drop it to a 0 point ticket. usually they only care about getting their money. i am actualy going to fight my ticket in the middle of this month. it never hurts, the worst they can make you do is pay the same, it cant get worse, only better.

Hmm... That can't be true can it? Too many people would abuse the system and the govt. would have to do SOMETHING to fix the bug.

You admitted to going 60-65, thats where you went wrong. But it's still worth fighting in court for.

I always fight tickets, because my dad has known our lawyer for 25 years. Haven't lost yet :thumbsup:

I would go talk to your DA or PA and since this is your fist ticket, offer to do driving school and/or some community service and a fine if he will amend it to a non-moving violation so you don't get points. Whatever you do, (in court) don't get a smartass attitude with the cop or anybody else in court. Play Mr. innocent who made a one time mistake and just wants one more chance.

97accordJDM - I worked in the Criminal Court and helped with the Traffic Division too, here where I live. Your idea wouldn't fly with our court. We wouldn't give a crap if you cashed the check and to be honest, we probably wouldn't refund your $10.00. If we did refund, you would have 90 days to cash it or the check is void and the money goes into a court maintanance fund. I would be shocked if that worked in any court and if it does, I promise it's not Missouri.

• 2 weeks later...

Traffic laws are city and state laws, not national laws, therefore it will be dependent upon what state you are in. I know for a fact that that rumor is false to Missouri, and I would bet that it is to most states. There is probably one state that is like that, and that has spread to thinking that it will work anywhere.

I know that the article you posted says it works in any state, but I've worked for a law firm and for the criminal and traffic court in my county and it's false. Like I said above different states have different laws and procedures. Just like the speed limit on Colorado highways is 75 but in Illinois it's 65, Missouri is 70, etc....every state is different. THis goes for procedures too. Beyond that all cities/towns will have a set of local court rules, with procedures specefic to that town. What this tells me, is that there is a good chance that whoever wrote that article was in a town with a local court rule that followed the "rumored" procedure.

Also, in Missouri (statewide), clerks are required to send in any traffic or criminal ticket to the state within 7 days of a guilty plea or a finding of guilt. If they waited until the financial transactions were taken care of before sending it in, their office would be fined. Within 7 days from plea, not from payment.

Also the link you posted is to an article that hasn't been updated for 5 years. A lot changes in legislation within a 5 year period.

if you actually looked at the link i posted, you would have realized that they were deeming the urban legend false.

you could have:

A: looked at the very top of the page:

Claim:  Slightly overpaying the fine for a traffic ticket will keep points off of your driving record.

OR

B: After reading the urban legend, continued on to read how it is false.

• 1 month later...

Archived