Why isn't the HX more popular?

CSK

Hello.

While looking at the different trims, I noticed that the 2005 HX has a lot of the EX features, gets 36/44 MPG, and is pretty close the same price as the VP.

My question is, why is the VP so much more popular than the HX? I admit I know very little about cars... does the HX drive terrible or what?

Thanks.

from what i believe the hx is the non vtec version, i know my buddys hx doesnt have vtec, but then again i could be wrong. i think its just the model lower. for example i own a 95 civic hatch dx but i almost bought a civic hatch cx, drove both they were the same price but the cx had a lot of road noise but was lighter and the dx had little road noise but was heavier. same price for 2 models of same car.

well i have a HX and i love it...well i love all civics lol and it is vtec and if yall dont know it doesnt kick in not only when u punch it...it kicks in at 2500 to 3500 grand and stays in....i know its not much but its still something....and yes it get good gas miles cause im getting bout 35 to 39 miles per gallon and it does have ac and power windows and locks..atleast mine does

you have no idea how VTEC works, do you?

i dont think they do

i have a 93 civic dx, with basic bolt ons, with 17's avg about 35 mpg, highway ive had as high as 44.2 mpg

cars with VTEC have extra lobes on the camshaft and when you get to a certain rpm the cam switches over and lets the intake vale stay open longer, at least thats how i understand it, im n ot sure how the economical vtec works on like the hx's tho

if i was wrong in any way about that please let me know, cause thats how i understand it

i do know how it all works for the hx...heres how it goes...from 0 to 2500 rpm it runs off of only 12 valves for good gas miles over that it kicks in and uses all 16 valves and since it is vtec it has a little power bist not much but more than the dx and less than the ex....i hope that cleared things up.

if i said something worng please let me know

First off we know that the VTEC kicks in somewhere around 5500RPM. But how? Well, there is a wire from the ECU that sends a 12Volt signal to a solenoid that pumps oil to a pin that locks in the VTEC rocker arm to the other rocker arms. WAAAAA!!

I hope this helps pulled it up by searching on a teg board

Ok, little break down.

First of all, the 7th gen civics that have vtec, have iVTEC which is continuously varying depending on oil pressure / rpm / amt of throttle.

in previous generations, VTEC was ON or OFF and was regulated by oil pressure at a certain RPM depending on the engine. The HX was always the economy version....little more HP than the base engines, but way better fuel economy b/c it had 3 stages instead of 2. It also had 13 inch ultra light wheels that help with fuel economy (and are also great, cheap drag wheels)

I'm not an expert on the 7th gens, but the new HX has a few more HP than the VP (which stands for value package)...other than that, i don't know. Feel free to do a full comparison if ya want : http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/honda/civic/index.html

• 1 year later...

Hoping to clarify:

Why not? Because HX's are hard to find, often do not have A/C, and the CVT auto trans really suck.

How does it differ? The 96-99 HX coupe is a SOHC VTEC-e denoted as EJ7 with a 16DY5 engine. The "e" represents enhanced performance. It differs from the (EX) 16DY7 by having two sets of intake valve lobes. Below 2500 RPM the secondary valves operate on their own camshaft lobe, which has very low lift and duration enabling it to sip fuel. To increase performance at about 2500 RPM the secondary rocker arm is locked together with the primary, and both valves open for full lift and duration of the primary camshaft lobe.

At around 3000 RPM the engine comes to life pulling strong to well above 5500 RPM. As all VTEC owners know 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears are a riot, going from 30-80 is quick enough to make highway entrances exciting.

The HX weighs 300# less, runs 14" lightweight Enkei alloy rims with 185-65 tires, and has no sunroof. The HX drives similar to an EX, has PW, A/C optional, has no ABS, and gets 36-44 MPG.

Note: The HX model follows the 92-95 VX hatchback with a 1.5 liter VTEC-e that delivered a whopping 56 MPG.

ciao,

Hoping to clarify:

Why not? Because HX's are hard to find, often do not have A/C, and the CVT auto trans really suck.

How does it differ? The 96-99 HX coupe is a SOHC VTEC-e denoted as EJ7 with a 16DY5 engine. The "e" represents enhanced performance. It differs from the (EX) 16DY7 by having two sets of intake valve lobes. Below 2500 RPM the secondary valves operate on their own camshaft lobe, which has very low lift and duration enabling it to sip fuel. To increase performance at about 2500 RPM the secondary rocker arm is locked together with the primary, and both valves open for full lift and duration of the primary camshaft lobe.

At around 3000 RPM the engine comes to life pulling strong to well above 5500 RPM. As all VTEC owners know 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears are a riot, going from 30-80 is quick enough to make highway entrances exciting.

The HX weighs 300# less, runs 14" lightweight Enkei alloy rims with 185-65 tires, and has no sunroof. The HX drives similar to an EX, has PW, A/C optional, has no ABS, and gets 36-44 MPG.

Note: The HX model follows the 92-95 VX hatchback with a 1.5 liter VTEC-e that delivered a whopping 56 MPG.

ciao,

I think most people agreed, even Honda, that the last E in VTEC-E stood for "ECONOMY" since that was the point of the HX...maximized for economy, not performance. BLAH...

Archived