what shoud i do when its in the shop

amateurteg

i just found out that my head was warped because my car overheated one time. So, my friends dad is working on it. Since my car has 175,000 miles on it, and since hes taking off the whole head, he suggested that i do a little engine work. I planned on doing a little engine work, but not too much, seeing taht its more of a show car with air bags, but im going to do a little since i have to buy the expensive gasket kit and im having to get my head milled. I planned on also getting my valves grinded, he said it was good becasue of carbon build up, i plan on getting forged pistons 11.1 to 1 or 12.5 to 1 compression, is this smart?? i do not plan on ever running any kind of forced induction. I also want to bore my engine out 20 over. I also suggested forged rods, but he said taht the ones i have are fine, and taht they just need to be worked on?? (i think he meant like making in circular again). thats about all. although i dont think it will really boost me, right now im just looking for a reliable car, so i dont wanna do anyting too complex, so is waht im doing good or bad, or does anyone have any better suggestions?? i basically want to have a brand new engine, or a like new engine when im through with this. Any feedback, + or - is welcome. :p

if your looking for just a reliable car, w/out boost, i wouldnt bother w/ a forged internals, rebuild it OEM. factory pistons and rings, you only need to build the bottom end if your going to need it to be strong. maybe do a cam, but your looking into some expensive work here.

Why build an engine for a show car?

Expensive gasket kit? All the gaskets you need when replacing a head cost less than $150...

If you really want to pull your engine, have it torn apart, and put back together, then go ahead and bore it .5mm, OEM .5mm OS pistons, Hastings rings, ACL bearings, ARP headstuds and ARP rod bolts.

You're looking at over a grand including labor.

well, i think the gasket for my car is $89, so thats not that big of an expense, and although its kind of a show car, i still want it to have a little get up on it. I have too many miles on it, and will probably have to replace some stuff any way, i was planning on buying some je forged pistons,and bore it 20thousandths over, get my valves grinded, and get the head milled. but i thought that if i bought like 9.5 to 1 compression pistons that that would give me a little hp, wouldnt it?

ok, i found out my compression is 9.2 to 1. im wandering, will type 4 pisons fit in my ls? theyre 10.6to 1, i want to have a little higher compression if im going to rebulid my bottom end, but not sacrifice dependability or mpg, would like a 9.5 to 1 or 10to1 be okay, or is that too high?

To just put in new pistons you don't have to bore the motor but rather hone it. Larger pistons make for a larger combustion chamber, which makes room for more fuel, which in turn gives more HP.

To just put in new pistons you don't have to bore the motor but rather hone it. Larger pistons make for a larger combustion chamber, which makes room for more fuel, which in turn gives more HP.

WRONG.

Ever hear of ovaling?

Take your block with pistons to a machine shop and have them bore it.

Just go with .5mm over. You'll use more gas and make more power, but neither will be noticable....at all.

Archived