Power Steering

dcletten

my power steering belt is goin out, and i was wondering how bad would it be to turn if i just left it with no belt on there. i figured that would take a little drag off the crank, but just a question

without power steering---- probably around 1/2-2/5x harder to turn than with power steering.. just imagine having to turn your car when the car is off. the key in and the engine off so the lock steering column will unlock. its hard to turn and just go down the road and turn your car off and drive like that.. its pretty much crap. and yes. when a car never has had p.s. is made to turn better without help from the engine.

i'd say replace it or you'll suffer by running your ass into a damn tree.

jmo :thumbsup:

Geez I should have just thought of it that way! It is a big pain in the rear though IMO. Especially if you are used to having P.S. and then don't have it. I would worry about wrecks and such as well. Can't be safe at all

It's fine when you're actually moving, but when you're at a stop (or is trying to get out of parking), it's a pain in the ass. I used to learn how to drive a car with a shot PS, in some cheap driving school. Man I had to use lots of muscles to get out of parking.

oh come on guys, it's not that hard. I've had my belt off since my engine got done and it's not that hard. I know nobody has seen me in person, but I'm one of the skinniest peope ever. the only thing that sucks is parking.

As i said in my post....parking is a pain in the ass, and living in a city where you have to park, was just a headache.

As to your GF not having power steering H22, i have also had a car w/o ps, and some civics came w/o it. in those cases, it isnt bad at all. everything is geared differently. It is just not worth the headache to lose power steering on a car that has it IMO.

I have to agree. I mean... I know a lot of people who just took theirs off to get more hp, the whole ps system; but I had no ps in my old del sol and its not hard, unless your not moving. and I had wide wheels on there. Its not worth it IMO, but i guess its not that bad.

yea i took the ac off already, it didnt work when i got it, and i was used to having no ac, didnt have it in my old car, and i didnt feel like finding the leak, so i just took it off, but as to this post, probably will just try it for a couple days without and if its fine ill take it all off, if i dont like it, ill put a new belt on, so we will see

true but I don't live on the track.

so? you only notice p/s when the car isnt moving. once the car is in motion p/s doesnt really do much.

p/s numb's the feel of the steering and robs power. if i wasnt so lazy i'd take mine off

Archived