Air Intake

autochiapet

I've been looking into short ram air intakes and I was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful info on which to choose. I've seen than I could save a bunch of money and just buy K&N drop in filter but still has the stock ribbed tube. Also, I've found that I could get a AEM short ram for $89 at a shop not to far away from me, or I could order a K&N short ram for about $190 including shipping. Thats a big difference in price and I was wondering if there is any chance that the extra $101 is worth it. Another Idea I had was buying a cheap ram so that I would have a smooth pipe and then buying a good filter to put on it. Any ideas, or feedback would be helpful.

My shop sells RD cold air intakes for $229. If you've seen short ram RD's for less than $89 then let me know, otherwise i might just go with the AEM.

RD = Race Division = cold air = no short ram.

my friend told me today that the smog check only is a problem if you change your cat or resonator. He said air intakes arent a problem.

Also, since I didn't mention it before, I've been looking into short rams because I don't want to deal with rain water splashing up at a CAI.

im gonna get an AEM CAI.. i would get an comtech.. but not worth the money.. when i can get a huge discount w00t

I live in CA so I do smog checks. Could i just keep my stock one and reinstall it for checks? Or would a drop in performace filter be the way to go.

keeps your OEM parts.. whenever you do a smog check, put the OEM stuff back on

Also, since I didn't mention it before, I've been looking into short rams because I don't want to deal with rain water splashing up at a CAI.

dont worry about that, just getta water repellant spray bottle should work fine.

I live in Cali...and I passed smog with my I/H/E....turbo was another ordeal...

I have an AEM CAI. No bypass valve...no water repellant. Drove thru many El Ninos without worries. Unless you submerge the whole filter of the CAI in water, you won't be sucking up enough water to create hydrolock.

im gonna get an AEM CAI.. i would get an comtech.. but not worth the money.. when i can get a huge discount w00t

keeps your OEM parts.. whenever you do a smog check, put the OEM stuff back on

dont worry about that, just getta water repellant spray bottle should work fine.

Icebox is way worth it. Much better power gains.

Heat wrap. More people put it around a header than anything. It's ugly as crap (looks like a wrapped up mummy) but unless you have a race motor creating crap loads of heat, it's not really worth it. If you're really worried about it get one of those metal plates that go around the filter on one side to keep heat out. However, if you're going for CAI it's pretty pointless too.

Well, tomorrow I'm buying and installing a new Injen RD. Somewhat exciting for me because its the first major change to my car. I'll probably put some photos up or something once I'm done.

one of the things your gona notice right away is the deep throatier sound your engine will make, I/H/E makes your car breath alot better and makes your car sound nice but with the intake as your first mod i would do exhaust the finish with headers. then move on to more motor mods

one of the things your gona notice right away is the deep throatier sound your engine will make, I/H/E makes your car breath alot better and makes your car sound nice but with the intake as your first mod i would do exhaust the finish with headers. then move on to more motor mods

Good idea. That's what I always do. Most people I know do that cause even if your car's slow as piss at least it'll sound cool going slow! :D I should know. All my cars where slow as dog poop. :laugh:

Archived