My first paid job!

Nancy

a local san diego magazine saw one of my skyline cityscape shots and liked it enough to use in their magazine. theyre gonna pay me $300 for the shot to use for half a page. pretty cool, huh?

a local san diego magazine saw one of my skyline cityscape shots and liked it enough to use in their magazine. theyre gonna pay me $300 for the shot to use for half a page. pretty cool, huh?

Awesome Nancy....congrats. I just did my first official photoshoot myself for a baby portrait session. Wasn't a paying job but they turned out good enough that it should have been.

Congrats again....that's awesome that it is finally paying off for you.

thanks guys!

maybe i should look into this a little more. $300 for just one shot, i feel like im ripping them off in a way.

You are NOT ripping them off. If anything they are getting a good deal. If this is going in a magazine then you have to realize that there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands that will view this image. That means that this image is costing them 1/10th or 1/100th of a cent per viewer which is pretty cheap. Honestly $300 sounds like a fair price for all parties since you aren't a big name photographer (awesome stuff you have though).

Oh, and I agree. That shot is pretty freakin' awesome. Are you shooting RAW now? I know awhile back you had some questions about raw and wondering if you ever made the switch.

You are NOT ripping them off. If anything they are getting a good deal. If this is going in a magazine then you have to realize that there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands that will view this image. That means that this image is costing them 1/10th or 1/100th of a cent per viewer which is pretty cheap. Honestly $300 sounds like a fair price for all parties since you aren't a big name photographer (awesome stuff you have though).

Oh, and I agree. That shot is pretty freakin' awesome. Are you shooting RAW now? I know awhile back you had some questions about raw and wondering if you ever made the switch.

im not all that confident in shooting in raw. still in jpeg fine mode. is there a big difference? if i shot in raw, is there less PP? cause thats what i going for, i dont really like to PP. just wanna get a good shot right out of the camera.

im not all that confident in shooting in raw. still in jpeg fine mode. is there a big difference? if i shot in raw, is there less PP? cause thats what i going for, i dont really like to PP. just wanna get a good shot right out of the camera.

Honestly, you are one of the few that probably doesn't need to shoot raw. RAW requires a good bit more of post processing and if you have all of your settings right there then it will be less work to stay jpeg. The only problem with jpegs is that everytime you open, edit, and re-save it compresses it more and you lose some quality.

I shoot RAW for everything. Then again, whatever you do in photoshop (or whatever you use), I do the same thing to my raw file in Capture NX so it's probably all the same.

Congrats! $300 is a pretty good deal for that photo.

I shoot RAW for the added flexibility. Instead of the camera processing it according to some presets, I get to tweak every last detail to get the shot just the way I want it. I can salvage an underexposed image by about a stop, and an overexposed one by about 2/3rds of a stop if I need to. It's also a lossless format like Nate said. In some cases JPEG artifacts can appear in prints which sucks.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived