How to fix Rust with bondo? DIY help needed

I have a few old hondas that i work on but i have never tried doing body work. I have a project car that I am ready to toy with and it has wheel well rust.

Should I use fiberglass or bondo to patch it up? What sort of tools would I need to buy to do a good job?

please discus..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cutting it out and welding in sheet metal would be best, but you didn't ask that. Fiberglass is harder to work with, but more durable. Bondo is cheap and easy. Your decision really. I prefer working with fiberglass simply for the durability.

Cutting it out and welding in sheet metal would be best, but you didn't ask that. Fiberglass is harder to work with, but more durable. Bondo is cheap and easy. Your decision really. I prefer working with fiberglass simply for the durability.

Ok, so if i went with glass what tools would i need? I have no torch so no metal cutting for me just yet.

Any pics of said rust?

I will post a couple images after work today but its the typical honda wheel rot.

I will post a couple images after work today but its the typical honda wheel rot.

I want to know how extensive the rust is! Cut and weld is the only true fix, for rust, bondo is a band-aid! :thumbsup:

I want to know how extensive the rust is! Cut and weld is the only true fix, for rust, bondo is a band-aid! :thumbsup:

Exactly, and bondo only covers it up, not cures it. Bondo will eventually crack/fall out, and the rust will come back.

Exactly, and bondo only covers it up, not cures it. Bondo will eventually crack/fall out, and the rust will come back.

the rust will not come back if you cut past the rust like rob said earlier... if you cut past the rust it stops the rusting... thats why you cut out a portion and get the same portion from a different honda, weld it in, smothen out the welds, bondo over the whole spot to smoothen out all the blemishes, primer, and paint over... job done

the rust will not come back if you cut past the rust like rob said earlier... if you cut past the rust it stops the rusting... thats why you cut out a portion and get the same portion from a different honda, weld it in, smothen out the welds, bondo over the whole spot to smoothen out all the blemishes, primer, and paint over... job done

Ok, i have a few rusty cars in my fleet but here are pics of the civic in question

CIMG0198.jpg

CIMG0199.jpg

CIMG0200.jpg

CIMG0197.jpg

Bondo isn't gonna help you in this case. You need to cut and weld. That's the only true fix, and as extensive as that rust is, it's really your only option.

Bondo isn't gonna help you in this case. You need to cut and weld. That's the only true fix, and as extensive as that rust is, it's really your only option.

Well i will wait to see what a gew others think. i gotta be able to mud it up and get a cheap fix. im not gonna keep the car for ever, just a project that i plan to eventually sell.

worse case if i weld what type of weder do i need? mig, tig? arc? welding is also brand new for me.

Well i will wait to see what a gew others think. i gotta be able to mud it up and get a cheap fix. im not gonna keep the car for ever, just a project that i plan to eventually sell.

worse case if i weld what type of weder do i need? mig, tig? arc? welding is also brand need for me.

Kegger is right. Had I known the rust was this extensive beforehand, I wouldn't have replied with anything but cutting and welding. A MIG or TIG should work.

yeah that rust is way past bondo or fiberglass. youre going to need to cut and weld for that. you should also check out underneath the car and other areas because its probably rusting as well

LOL, honestly it does have one small hole under the drivers seat. Im just planning to use a small piece of sheet metal with a few rivets and some serious caulk to fix that though. I just rebuilt the engine and it runs good, just wanna slap some body work on it and flip it.

CIMG0211.jpg

I think i will try bondo as its the most cost effective method for now. What type a stuff should i buy?

bondo will not fix that

A friend was telling me i could simply stuff some newspaper in that hole and then mud the hell outta it with some bondo. I will try it and see what happens,,,nothing to loose here...its a project

Holy shiot! Please don't do that to some unsuspecting soul! :o It has happened to me, and I would never knowingly do it to anyone else! :nono:

Again I say look up!^^^ >_<

A friend was telling me i could simply stuff some newspaper in that hole and then mud the hell outta it with some bondo. I will try it and see what happens,,,nothing to loose here...its a project

With friends like that, who needs enemies!!!!! :thumbsup:

Using bondo on that kind of mess is 1) a waste of your time and effort and 2) a waste of your money.

Do it the right way or don't do it at all is my motto. Your car, your choice, but don't say we didn't warn you - and if you sell it to someone and don't let them know, that's just shady and will get you a bad name quick.

Using bondo on that kind of mess is 1) a waste of your time and effort and 2) a waste of your money.

Do it the right way or don't do it at all is my motto. Your car, your choice, but don't say we didn't warn you - and if you sell it to someone and don't let them know, that's just shady and will get you a bad name quick.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000..............!! :thumbsup:

Archived