Dec 21, 2012. 11:11am GMT, the new Y2K

Rick B.

Cranny brought this up in the chem trail thread, so i though i should explain it.

there are many interpretations of the december 12, 2012 end to the mayan calendar.

one of course, being the end of the world, the other, a shift in human consciousness.

if the world doesnt end on december 21, 2012, people will then focus on the asteroid apothis, or the entire planetary alignment of our solar system in 2040

for those of you that dont know, there are several things going on for that time frame. Ill explain more at the bottom about the problems that could arise.

1) the sun will be at a solar maximum. dont worry, it happens every 11 years. its basically when sunspots appear and the sun is most active in giving off radiation and solar storms.

2) we will be having a galactic alignment. this means that our solar system will be aligning with the center of our galaxy which hasnt happened for 13,000 years. right now, the solar system is floating about the rest of the galaxy. it has a natural cycle to bob up and down the galaxy shifting from floating about to floating below.

endtime.demo.jpg

3) we could have a Geomagnetic reversal. that means that the north pole and the south pole will switch. it naturally occurs on the sun as well as other planets and it has happened on earth.

click

4) the earth could fall off its wobble, called a polar shift. just imagine a picture of the globe in front of you the way it is today. now turn it on its side. some people believe that this caused the civilization of atlantis to be buried under ice in antarctica (though something happening of this magnitude again is highly unlikely short of a huge asteroid impact on earth or a planet sized object coming close to us and pulling us off our axis). it has happened several times before. here are previous locations of the north pole that we know of.

polar.sequence.gif

the problems polar shifts cause are extreme weather, increased volcanic activity, and increase seismic activity

these are just some of the theories. some of them seem a bit far fetched. but anyway.

More about the alignment

now, some of the problems that the galactic alignment could bring are plausible. I assume that most of you dont know the meaning of a Barycenter. Objects in the solar system with great enough gravity cause slight wobbles in rotation. the earth pulls on the moon, and the moon pulls a little back slightly altering the center of gravity so to speak. the point to where the center of gravity is altered is called the barycenter. the barycenter also affects the surface weather of said object.

now, jupiter has the same effect on the sun which effects the sun's weather. now with the alignment, it will not only be jupiter tugging on the sun and altering its rotation on the axis, but it will also be the entire galaxy as well. the alignment means that we will move into the point where the galaxy's pull will be at its greatest causing increased solar storm activity.

solar storms = more radiation thrown at earth

More about polar shift

other than it being a natural occurrence every few thousand years or so here are some other reasons.

Now that I explained what a barycenter is, i can offer up some reasons why a polar shift can occur.

Other things can throw off a barycenter, such as the continents on earth. or example, take a rubber ball and put it in water then spin it. it will spin with no distortions. now, glue and eraser somewhere on the ball and spin it again. the rotation is altered. now glue on a few more erasers and spin it again. the rotation is altered yet again. the same principle applies if you take away mass from the erasers as well.

so, possibly the melting ice caps is affecting the rotation of the earth

an asteroid hitting earth, but the next one that we know of that will be passing close enough is Apothis but thats coming around in 2029.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those things can be overcome, albeit unconfortable as they may be. Even the deep impact event can be prevented, especially since we know it's comming.

The one thing nobody can stop or evade, is a gamma ray burst. Even if it doesn't destroy the planet, a burst of sufficient energy could blow our fragile atmosphere off into space; leaving us all gasping like fish out of water.

NASA has an article of one such event involving Galaxy 3C321, it has been nicknamed the 'Death Star'.

its close to impossible to stop a deep impact.

Apothis is traveling at 68,740 mph and is 1,150ft across (its a small one).

the kinetic engergy of such an impact according to nasa would be equal to an 880 megaton explosion.

according to newton's third law of motion, which states for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

to cause apothis to dead stop in space, you would need to exert 880 megatons of force onto it directly, and all at once.

now, yes, this is possible to do with our nuclear weapons today, but the main problem is hitting the asteroid far enough out that its debris wont crash into earth and still cash widespread damage.

an attempt to get you to understand how difficult of a task that is, imagine standing at one end of the largest olympic stadium ever built with a bb gun pistol with iron sights, now, you have to shoot a baseball dead center thats on the other side of the stadium. wait, there is more, the baseball could be in any location from the top right most corner to hiding under a bleacher near the ground of the stadium, and you have a short time limit, not to mention the thought that the entire world (6.5 BILLION people) is counting on you to hit it on the first and only try you get.

to deflect it, you dont need as much force, but its still damn hard to hit the f*cker coming at us, but with a twist. your bb that youre shooting at it, has to turn in space to hit the asteroid from the side to knock it away.

a gamma ray burst, depending on how far away it is would be devastating. one from earth's nearest neighbor alpha centauri would literally incinerate the earth instantly.

others will completely destroy the magnetic field entirely leaving the surface of the planet open to 100% of the UV radiation in space. within hours people even inside their homes will start to develop severe sunburn like symptoms. within a couple days, humans all across the globe would die out. plants would die within a day or two afterwards.

a gamma ray burst would not destroy the atmosphere in the way you think it would causing all of the oxygen to escape into space.

now, yes, this is possible to do with our nuclear weapons today, but the main problem is hitting the asteroid far enough out that its debris wont crash into earth and still cash widespread damage.

an attempt to get you to understand how difficult of a task that is...

We are getting better at this all the time. Conservationists were up in a roar over NASA's destruction of a passing comet. Granted a ball of ice is easier than a solid hunk of metal, but we seem to be getting the mechanics down, as I recall, we have even landed a probe on the surface of a passing celestial body. I think we would be able to meet the deep impact object as it passes the astroid belt, but I am not an astronaunt, so this is all speculation without calculation.

A gamma ray burst would not destroy the atmosphere in the way you think it would causing all of the oxygen to escape into space.

I see what your saying, but you have to admit, once the ozone layer is gone it is only a matter of time before all atmospheric gases are ionized (from our own sun or the cosmic beam) and escape into space. Of course, as you pointed out, we would all be dead by then.

I dont remember NASA destroying a passing comet. But I do remember project "Deep Impact" where we intentionally impacted a probe into a comet so that we could study it. but keep in mind, there was years and years of preparation for that, and then it took years for the actual probe to get to the comet. and that was something we knew about, and we knew the course of the comet so we could predict where it was going to be by the time the probe got out there.

we only know about a few NEOs (near earth objects) and thats not even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all of the potential threats out there. we cant watch the entire sky either, so we could be blindsided by one we didnt know about until it was too late.

in ideal circumstances, we would need at least 5-10 years of prep time for the design and construction of the space craft (of which we have no designs yet), and to be able to launch it. and within that time, we would have to use earth based and satellite based telescopes to guess the path of said threat and hope that we can hit it. even in ideal circumstances, the odds are stacked against us, and how often is life and the universe under ideal circumstances?

Eventually and statistically we will reach our end. we may be able to dodge the bullet here or there, but only for so long.

now to get back on topic:

In the upcoming years as we get closer to 2012, and in 2012, we can expect at the very least to see some pretty extreme weather and other natural disasters.

and as people become less religious and more spiritual, who knows, maybe we will have some kind of awakening of the human consciousness. During the last galactic alignment, the egyptian civilization started on the rise as well as religion.

One thing is for certain, the end of the mayan calendar signified something great and they knew it. Either the end of the world, or just the end of an age.

the mayans predicted that at the end of their calendar, time would cease to exist as we know it. now we know time based on how long it takes for a day to pass, or how long it takes for us to revolve around the sun. with that being said, here is one interpretation.

"The Mayans claim that time will no longer be able to be measured after December 21, 2012 because it will no longer consistently travel in the same pattern that it does today. This could very easily be a description of what would happen to time if the earth got thrown off its axis. Once it starts spinning at a different speed and angle, the days will be longer or shorter. Likewise, if its orbit around the sun is changed, so is the length of a year. Their explanation was that the solar system will reach the conclusion of a 5,125 year natural cycle on December 21, 2012, at which time drastic changes will take place. These changes will be the cause of a day no longer consisting of twenty-four hours and a year no longer being three hundred and sixty-five and a quarter days. Scientists have confirmed that, in much the same manner as a year cycles through the four seasons, the Mayas were once again correct in regards to the 5,125 year seasonal cycle of the solar system."

"The increased severities of storms and earthquakes, as well as the predicted melting of the ice caps, are all natural phenomenon (they really are, its just that humans have been speeding it up) that may be taking place as part of the natural cycle of the solar system. Just as every summer melts away the winter snow and ice, the rising temperatures here on earth could be a part of a change of seasons in the solar system. Since the end of this cycle occurs December 21, 2012, it stands to reason that a new cycle will begin on December 22, 2012. We know that the solar system, as well as the planet we live on, has been through this cycle countless times in its billions of years of existence. We also know that the earth has been through many of these cycles without falling off its axis. Since the ice caps are not predicted to melt completely for another century or so, and the new solar season begins in less than six years, it is quite possible that the new season could begin to correct these natural phenomena before they contribute to the destruction of life on this planet as we know it. It is virtually impossible to know what daily or even yearly changes in the earth's climate may have taken place in the last decade or two before the end of the last solar cycle 5,119 years ago."

Seems to me (and i am by no means an "expert", or even someone who really knows anything about this) that this is something that the earth/solar system/our galaxy has been going through since its beginning. With that said, i dont see the point in being overly worried about it. Its not something that we as people can do a whole lot to affect/change. So i will use my motto of, "if you can change/prevent it, why worry about it?". If something is going to happen, its going to happen. We will either find a way to continue living life, or we wont. Just me 2 cents.

wow Rick, this is not the first time you've posted astronomy/physics stuff...cool! :D now, you are the nerd :p haha jk

we don't have to worry about this, I believe...

there are other things that can kill us faster...

and U.S. government is more concerned about China wanting to go to the moon! so we have to go again! lool

a friend of mine was talking about a dimensional shift, believing it would occur october 2006.. which of course, it didnt. perhaps his belief wasn't so far out there and somewhat accurate- just not predicted at the correct time.

Crazy, in pyhsics today we actual talked about this, my teacher was saying a super red giant, or a supernova can not remember which one, but is going to explod sooner or later, well at least soon maybe in our life or in or future kids kids, but anyways when that happens there is a slight chance that a real powerful radiation whatever could hit earth, I wonder if that has anything to do with the Mayans. If they predicted taht, they are gods

Crazy, in pyhsics today we actual talked about this, my teacher was saying a super red giant, or a supernova can not remember which one, but is going to explod sooner or later, well at least soon maybe in our life or in or future kids kids, but anyways when that happens there is a slight chance that a real powerful radiation whatever could hit earth, I wonder if that has anything to do with the Mayans. If they predicted taht, they are gods

lol you weren't paying too much attention, were you? lol jk

15 million years is good enough for me :D hehehe

We're good for at least 15 million years, then the sun will run out of hydrogen and we're all f*cked.

i think you mean 15 billion years. the sun has plenty of life left in it.

Haha na i wasnt paying to much attention i have senioritess just want to be doneeeee... anyways sun has about 5 billion years until it becomes a red giant, which would make the sun basically be as big as we are away ffrom it, meaning no more earthy.

This is an interesting thread.

Of all the theories expressed, I think the one about the calander being rendered inaccurate by the shift of the solar system to be the most probable.

calendar shift? what is that? is that the story:

like back in Galileo times, the guy who did the calendar realized oopsy he had been mistaken about 4 months or so and then they changed it and it fell on April 1st. People, who celebrated the "new year," were made fun of so that's how April Fool's day came around? lol don't know...I'm high off air as always

What? I don't understand you at all, girly...

The idea is that the rotation of the earth or its orbit around the sun would be altered, thus slightly (or even dramtically) changing the length of the day or year. That's all. So, in a sense, "time as we know it" would "cease to exist" but not in the apocalyptic sense that many extremists think of.

..."time as we know it" would "cease to exist" but not in the apocalyptic sense that many extremists think of.

I don't know if many people will be able to live with themselves if the evening news doesn't actually come in the evening. We may have mass suicides.

correct me if im wrong cause i have studied/read about mayans in a few years.. but i believe their calculations said it would be the end of the 4th cycle and the beginning of the 5th and final cycle where some people believe it will be the end of the world and others say its just a new beginning.. but no matter what im sure everyone can agree there are going to be some serious changes in 2012..

didnt notradomus write a lot of predictions on this too?

...but no matter what im sure everyone can agree there are going to be some serious changes in 2012...

I am sure the biggest thing to happen in 2012 will be a brand new iPod that can hold 1 terabyte of music.

Y2K was the fear that all of the worlds computers would crash, not on an actual even happening.

Physical events will be happening in 2012, and we know they will affect life. but we dont know how severe those effects will be.

Archived